Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Tuesday To-do and Talk...

I've had lots of things going on... and feel a little scattered and unable to focus on what I really want to. And I was reminded this morning of something I learned way back in 1999... (How can it be that it has been 24 years???) I digress...

Unless you set your priorities, the world and those around you will set them for you.

Often times, when I am feeling distracted or unfocused, I realize that it is others that have stepped up and rearranged my priorities. 

And, sometimes, life just happens and there is no control over certain situations, and they demand my attention. 

You may recall my post a few weeks ago about talking with my Mom about a plan for her future.  Phone calls need to be made this week to schedule appointments to visit a few senior apartments.  This is something, even though I brought up, would rather set off on the back burner.  I keep telling myself, she's fine in her home.  And then I think of the approaching snows of the winter that Dave and I will be responsible for managing.  That alone, is (almost) enough to pull the subject from the back burner and get serious about it.

Ok... whining and complaining is done.  I'll just pull up my big girl panties and pick up the phone.

Other distractions... 
*  The partial remodel/shower repair.  It's not that big of a deal or disruption.  I mean, I am only the assistant to the repair guy (Dave), but when he decides to do something, I drop everything and make myself available to him.  It's just the way we do life together. :)


* I was asked to lead a craft activity for a youth group.  The youth meeting is on Friday.  They will be making two different jar mixes ~ Sand Art Brownies and Power Bar Jars.  I've made up one sample (slightly modified from the original recipe) so that we can all enjoy the tasting of the Power Bars when they are done assembling the jars.  Labels need to be made and fabric jar toppers need to be cut.  I'll share photos of the group and the recipes (original and modified) in next week's Sew & Tell party.

Pssst... This week's party is still open.  Join the fun!

* When I was asked to lead the youth activity, it was mentioned that perhaps I'd like to lead a craft activity for the Ladies Bible Study group.  That will take place on Thursday.  Magnetic Prayer Boards are on the agenda and all of the supplies for the projects need to be purchased and gathered together.  I'll share photos of the boards when they are done.  Each one ends up as unique as the individual.

* All the while, my mind keeps drifting back to the box of t-shirts that arrived last week for another custom quilt.


As I think of prioritizing all of the items on my to-do list, I recall our visit to the Rio Grand del Norte National Monument and how the two rivers converged... Life is much like this convergence.  

Using one of the patterns from the National Parks Blocks by Fiona Sandwich, I made a block to reflect this photo for our Camping Journal Quilt.  (I used the Blue Ridge Mountain block and turned it 90 degrees.)

Life has a flow... consider the larger river your life and the priorities you choose.  And then as things come up, all those other things that can be good, even necessary, will meet up with the larger river.  It can cause a wild flow right at that point, but if you ride it out, it will all become smooth again.  In the meantime, hold on!

Two of the fabrics in this block (the far left & right pieces) were from a wax resist class/project that I made at a local art event that I attended several years ago. Trying to get the melted wax in the places I wanted them and blending colors to get the look I wanted was a challenge.  But I couldn't let the piece go to waste... Bonnie Hunter says that if you have an ugly fabric, just cut it smaller until the ugly is hidden (or something like that).  I have cut it up and included it in several pieces... the ugly was split up and made into something beautiful!

Enough of my philosophical thoughts, whining and procrastination... I have phone calls to make!

I find that if I tackle the most dreaded task FIRST, everything that follows is just that much easier.  

Do you find this as well?  

Leave a comment with your thoughts... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m

8 comments:

  1. You have a lot on your plate, and it's hard to say no to any of them. I had that job of making the phone calls and setting up the visits for the next living situation for my mom, and I definitely wanted to put that off! But you meet a lot of nice people who will potentially be involved with your mom, too, so that's a good thing. The jar mixes look yummy and the block you put together that represents the river view is gorgeous! Will it become your next mini quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melva , your sand art brownie jar looks amazing . And what a beautiful photo of the Rio Grande del Norte NM. We visit the area each year. Your latest addition to your camp journal is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's perfectly normal to want to put that on the back plate--we all do it--but I'm sure it'll be a relief to get something settled on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moment by moment ~ step by step ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melva! I have been feeling very scattered. Running around like a chicken with my head cut off, and not being very productive. You aren't whining! It's called venting . . . and we all get it. Oh boy - how I remember so well moving my Mom out of her house of 50 years. And she was an adult during the Depression, so you KNOW she saved a lot of stuff. Yikes. You will get through this and come out the other side the better for it. Truly. Hold on. It might be a wild ride down one of those rivers with some rapids thrown in for fun. Your block is just perfect for the camping quilt. I hope you are doing well, my friend. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you are absolutely correct, getting the hardest tasks out of the way first does make the others seem easier. I've dealt with that parent issue before and it's never easy. But, you need to do it way before you wish you would have. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, doing the dreaded task first is pretty much my motto. Doesn't always happen, but when I do, I have more energy for the rest of the day. Also, sometimes I get irritated when I need to go help my DIY guy with a project - your comment about you and Dave reminded me that I need to always be ready to help him. After all, by working so many years he made it possible for me to do what I love to do, and he likes nothing better than to provide me with goodies for my space! So thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, thinking is worse than doing sometimes. Always ready is what we are....but it does help make our lives work. Oh, that power bar recipe would be fun to make up! I am sure it is healthy (ha ha).

    ReplyDelete