Sunday, September 11, 2016

Cloud 9 - Dragonfly Tutorial

Welcome to Day 1 of the Cloud 9 New Block Blog Hop, and welcome to Melva Loves Scraps!  I hope that you will take some time to look around...

My block is a Dragonfly...  

Did you know... Dragonflies are not your average insects. These mysterious and ancient creatures have lived on earth for millions of years, far longer than humans. They sometimes appear fearless and maybe even a bit nosey, not hesitating to land on a nearby twig or even on a gardener’s hat. (from Dragonfly SymbolismIf a dragonfly repeatedly flies alongside someone as they take a morning walk, following the passing of a loved one, what would it mean to them?  For those involved, these real life experiences symbolize hope, immortality, and the afterlife. They provided comfort during a time of need. 

On to how to make the block...


Cutting instructions –


Background – Cloud 9 Sky
1 – 4-7/8” square
4 – 4-1/2” squares
7 – 2-1/2” squares
1 – 1-1/2” strip (at least 9” long)

Body – Cloud 9 Shadow
2 – 2-1/2” squares
1 – 1-1/2” strip (at least 9” long)
Large Wings – Cloud 9 Lilac
1 – 4-7/8” square
Small Wings – Cloud 9 Iris
2 – 3” x 6-1/2” rectangle
 *******************************************

Join strips together.  Cut to 1-1/2” sections



Sew sections together to make three 4-patch blocks

Join 4-patches with 2-1/2” squares as shown  

Sew 2-1/2” squares together as shown to create the head of the dragonfly.
Arrange and sew blocks accordingly to create 4-1/2 inch squares to create the body of the dragonfly
For the wings mark 4-7/8” square on the diagonal – 1/4” from center
Stitch on the marked lines - cut.
Press open – mark 2-1/4 inches as shown
Place the rectangle on the mark and the center seam – 
Sew 1/4” from rectangle edge
  
Press open (I left the entire background portion on the back of the block so that there would be less chance of the fabric pulling because of the bias edge.)


Trim to make square  

Place 4-1/2” background squares in place and assemble rows as shown.
Join rows together.  Press the seam with the wings open to reduce bulk.







































Thanks for stopping by!  I hope that you like my block.  I believe the assembly instructions to be complete, as they were tested by a few quilters.  BUT, should you encounter a problem, please let me know so that I can answer any questions you may have or make any necessary adjustments to the instructions.

Also, please be sure to check in with Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl. There are prizes to be won!!! Some lucky winner will win a fat-quarter bundle of Cloud 9 Cirrrus Solids.  And be sure to visit all today's participants to see what blocks they created.  There will be, no doubt, a wide variety of blocks, styles and techniques.  I know I will be checking them all out!

Abigail @Cut & Alter
Janice @Color, Creating, and Quilting!
Lorinda @Laurel, Poppy, and Pine
Renee @Quilts of a Feather
Kathryn @Upitis Quilts
Kim @Leland Ave Studios
Amanda @this mom quilts
Holly @Lighthouse Lane Designs
Irene @Patchwork and Pastry
Jennifer @Dizzy Quilter
Karen @Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Anne @Said With Love
Suzy @Adventurous Applique and Quilting
Sharla @Thistle Thicket Studio
Kathleen @Smiles From Kate
Amanda @Gypsy Moon Quilt Co.
Sarah @Sarah Goer Quilts
Chelsea @Patch the Giraffe
Jinger @Trials of a Newbie Quilter
Anja @Anja Quilts
Daisy @Ants to Sugar


Dragonflies have always reminded me of lazy, laid back summer days at the cottage that my Mother-in-law and Father-in-law had in Michigan.  So, tell me... What does the visit of a Dragonfly remind you of? 

May you find hope as you work on the Dragonfly.

Blessings,

Melva


Head on over to Quilter Blogs to see what other quilters are doing!


44 comments:

  1. Your block is so amazing and your tutorial is perfect. Seeing a Dragonfly always makes me smile and your block had the same affect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block is so amazing and your tutorial is perfect. Seeing a Dragonfly always makes me smile and your block had the same affect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your block Melva, and the colour combination is perfect. Dragonflies remind me of fairy's, they are so magical.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is amazing!! Love your block Melva!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the way you pieced together this dragonfly. Your color selections work so well for the block! Thank you so much for joining the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever! You did a great job, and a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So creative this one is!
    I have a Pinterest board with all the blocks here:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/38069559329318411/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this block - such a great and unique idea! I am really intrigued to see what secondary patterns you would get with placement of this block in a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I smiled as soon as I saw your block! A dragonfly! They don't really remind me of anything but I always smile when I see one. Great block!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun block design! I have a friend who loves dragonflies and I am sending her a link to your block. I also liked the way you included a bit of dragonfly trivia for interest! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love dragonflies! What a great representation you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very very nice and looks easy enough to follow. Well done 👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melva I love your block. There's so much you can do with the layout of this in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love watching dragonflies darting around in the summer and your block really captures them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool block, Melva. And your pictures and diagrams are very helpful- great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has certainly been fun seeing the variety of blocks everyone participating in the hop has created!

      Delete
  16. I will have to make this for my friend, she loves dragonflies. Thanks for sharing.
    cork@pa.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a pretty block. thanks for sharing. i love watching dragonflies. they can be so pretty and fun to watch

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just LOVE dragonflies! I even have a dragonfly tattoo. :)
    This block is fabulous! Your instructions seem very easy to follow. I can't wait to try this block out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. :) It has been fun seeing the variety of blocks everyone participating in the hop has created!

      Delete
  20. So beautiful block and your tutorial is easy to follow.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea - I really like it! And I like the sentiment, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Replies
    1. Thanks. It was fun to develop the pattern and once it was done, even more fun!

      Delete
  23. Gorgeous block, Melva - so creative! I love the dragonfly and its symbolism!

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO cute! I love the dragonfly! Nice work today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cool idea and neat approach! Really love this - I might have to do a mini quilt of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been fun seeing the variety of blocks everyone participating in the hop has created!

      Delete
  26. Your block is extremely creative and well thought out. I really would like to give it a whirl when I advance my skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a pretty simple block with mostly four-patch blocks and half-square triangles. Be brave! Give it a whirl. :)

      Delete
  27. Wow, this is super cool! Love dragonflies!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I knew this was going to be a big hit! Very cute, Melva!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your dragonfly!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Terrific block! I love dragonflies too. They are so beautiful, and I feel blessed when I see one. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your block! I have it on my "must do" list. I could see it paired together with my coneflower block for a fun quilt! Thanks. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a cute block, I love the dragonfly!

    ReplyDelete