Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Leaving a Legacy

There have been many things that have popped up as life has been going on that bring me to this post about leaving a legacy...

The conversation with my Mom, the recent recovery of my business fb account and a conversation with Dave about the need for a record of the various on-line accounts and passwords... all of this, as well as a blog story I read from quiltblox about leaving a legacy.


And yesterday, as I created a mini-quilt to commemorate the anniversary of 9/11, I thought of the many lives that were lost and how families had to cope with the tragedy of the event on top of all the rest of the "normal" end-of-life desires... 
And more than that, I decided that I need leave clear instructions for my loved ones.  

Dave has certainly made his wishes known to me regarding his business, machines/tooling and small collection of items in the safe.  It is only fair I do something similar for him on my side of the business.  I have informed him (and our daughters) that at my celebration of life service, they need to gather all of my quilts in one place.  If anyone attending has received a quilt from me, they should bring it.  If anyone attending has never received a quilt from me, they should be able to select one to take home with them.  

Not that I will ever care about what's going on after I am gone from this earth.  I mean the promise of eternity in the Lord's presence is something I look forward to with great anticipation!  But I have also been on the other side saying goodbye to loved ones and facing the decisions of finances, houses, bills, etc. that go with that.  

"What do we do with ___________?" Be it the house, the car, the jewelry, the furniture... the fabric stash.  

The author of Quiltblox starts with this...

One day – it will be that day. Your loved ones will wonder what you would have wanted them to do with all your cherished quilting/sewing/crafting supplies, tools, equipment, and projects (finished or not).

Go take a look at the story and see what you think... She has quite the extensive list. 


I feel like I have wrapped up a huge project and feel good about taking the next, necessary steps (it's kinda like adulting life homework), I am going to head off to my studio for another therapy session... Another table topper from the green orphan blocks.

My plan is to do an all-over square-on-point grid in the center and maybe try some fancier feathers in the border.  I'm trying to take full advantage of the lull in my custom quilting schedule, so why not expand and improve my skills.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


PS - The Sew & Tell Party is still open.  Follow the highlighted link to join the fun!


8 comments:

  1. Good topic, one that I've thought of many times - thanks for the reminder. Maybe this will prompt me to start my letter! The 9/11 mini is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tribute to 911. Did you hear there was a double rainbow in NYC that day? Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/09/13/wednesday-wait-loss-345

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute to make the Remember quilt for 9/11. I enjoyed your post and it is a good plan to get things in order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about this and I'm glad you did. I ha e downloaded her samples and questions and will start on one for me. It will be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever since my foster-mom passed away unexpectedly last year I have been decluttering and thinking about what would need to be done when I go... I still have a long way to go, but I've made a start... Your mini quilt is a great tribute to 9/11 - I don't think we will ever forget.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this Melva. We are in the process of decluttering some more by letting go of the city apartment in Boston. We did a closet last week, but also these instructions will be important for my son, so I will get to them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melva, good luck with FMQ your table topper! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete