Friday, August 4, 2023

Florida House Memory Quilt Finish


Quilt #2/3 for my customer is finished!  My customer wanted it in creams and off-whites for her Florida house.  I was happy to oblige with assorted "low volume" scraps for the sashing strips.  But I needed to purchase fabric for the borders and backing.

This quilt had a softer look than her Black & White quilt and was asking to have the quilting just a bit closer together to give it a more "feminine" look...


A few years ago, I read an article about how quilting for men and women can differ.  Aside from the obvious use of floral prints, just the quilting style can offer a his and hers feel.  For a stronger, more masculine feel, they recommended straight lines, or a square grid. For a softer, feminine feel, curves were suggested or on-point lattice, closer together, such as 2" to 2-1/2" or so.  A diamond grid layout was also suggested.  

I went with 3-1/2" spaced lines for this one versus the 4" spacing on her first quilt.

In case you missed my story on Monday, I had strained my back making it rather difficult to sit and quilt.  I did manage to get it 1/2 done before leaving for a few days to Red River, New Mexico.


It was a veeeeeeeeery relaxing time away.  We enjoyed lunch with some friends that treated us to lunch at Red River Brewing Company.  (They welcome dogs on their outside patio!  Shelby loves it there.) Our relationship goes back nearly 20 years when they were the youth leaders for our daughters.  They now have two teenagers (one is now driving) and have a little more freedom with their free time so they chose to enjoy a nice ride on their motorcycle.


That morning, Dave and I had visited the Wild Rivers convergence in the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument area, which is comprised of rugged, wide-open plains at an average elevation of 7,000 feet, dotted by volcanic cones, and cut by steep canyons with rivers tucked away in their depths. The Río Grande carves an 800-foot-deep gorge through layers of volcanic basalt flows and ash. Among the volcanic cones in the Monument, Ute Mountain is the highest, reaching to 10,093 feet.

This area has attracted human activity since prehistoric times. Evidence of ancient use is found throughout the area in the form of petroglyphs, prehistoric dwelling sites, and many other types of archaeological sites. More recent activity includes abandoned homesteading from the 1930s.

The Monument is an important area for wintering animals and provides a corridor by which wildlife move between the two mountain ranges.

The unique setting of the Monument also provides a wealth of recreational opportunities. Whitewater rafting, hunting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and camping are some of the more outstanding activities that can be enjoyed in the Monument.


The next day we went to town with the purpose of doing some wine tasting and to purchase something from the RR brewery & distillery.  Both errands were successful... I selected two crowlers (think super-sized beer cans) of amber beers for Dave and he purchased two bottles of wine for me. 

I also chose some gourmet cheese - a sharp cheddar with jalapeño and some jalapeño spiced pistachios. 

Both are (were) scrumptious!  The cheese is already gone.


While we enjoyed time in the Junebug campground located in Carson National Forest we read our books, I sewed, and Dave played his guitar. 

I finished two more blocks for our camping journal quilt as well as a quilted hearts.

The blue tent is a memory of helping Samantha set up her tent while in Illinois for the family reunion and the covered wagon for one of the nights in Ogalla, Nebraska, where there was a stop for the Oregon Trail.


We all enjoyed evening walks through the forest between Junebug and Fawn Lakes campgrounds.

My back pain was less noticeable as each day passed.  Alas, we returned home and I sat at the machine to finish the Florida quilt... It is not all that happy again, but I am happy because the quilt is finished!

I'll be calling my chiropractor for an appointment next week before I even consider starting quilt #3/3.

This weekend you will probably find me watching Heartland and doing some hand sewing.  I need to dig into my inspiration folder for the next mini-quilt.

I have a folder on the computer and one on my phone where screenshots of creative and quilty inspirational ideas get placed.

Do you have an idea folder? Leave a comment... I'd like to hear how you organize and save your ideas.

Speaking of which... Did you miss my give away announcement?  

In celebration of the Sew & Tell Party turning 1 year old, I am giving away 9 of the mini-quilts.  Make sure you head over to the party page to enter the drawing!

Happy Friday!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy’s Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch

m




14 comments:

  1. It's always a good feeling to arrive at the finish line on a quilt,nice finished on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on persevering though the second quilt. I hadn't given male vs. female quilting styles much thought before. It makes sense. Yes, I keep ideas for future quilts in several places. I maintain a Pinterest Board with FMQ motifs I admire, another board for blocks and third for quilts. I have ideas stored in Photos for potential quilts based on photos I have taken. I even have a folder of quilt designs that would make nice Rainbow Scrap Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pinterest account but have never really figured out what to do with it. lol. I guess I will stick with my current method. ;)

      Delete
  3. What a fun time you had! We are off next week for a little trip and I am looking forward to it. Lovely quilt finish, too. Hope the chiro gets your back in good working order!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your customers quilt looks amazing , Melva. Beautiful job. It sounds like you had an amazing time in NM. We were in the same area earlier this year. Isn't it beautiful? So glad you were able to relax and enjoy some sewing time as well. Hope your back starts feeling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the area. :) It is certainly one of our favorite places to camp.

      Delete
  5. You were in one of my favorite places ever and looks like you had a great time. We really need to plan a trip back there. Nice finish on the T-shirt quilt!
    My idea "folder" is the desktop of my laptop - lol! I just save photos or blog posts of ideas into folders and look at them to get inspired. I try to record where I got the idea so I can credit the blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is one of our all-time favorite places to camp. You really need to make a plan to get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great trip - hope you can get your back feeling better - back pain is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your back starts feeling better soon. That quilt looks fantastic. Your trip looks like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First - that is a great t shirt quilt - I like the sashing on it
    Two - Wow!! that looks lilke an amazing get away!!! and I love the history of that area - Petroglyphs eh?? Sounds like a place we need to visit!!! Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on finishing the quilting for the T-shirt quilt! Love the grid.
    Enjoy time with friends, and traveling!
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete