Saturday, September 30, 2023

To-Do Tackled & Sew and Tell


Last week's to-do list was tackled bit by bit.  So, I have several things to share... 

I kicked it off by making a difficult phone call only to discover that there was nothing difficult about it all.  That call was to the owner of an apartment complex that Mom is interested in.  She has a friend living there currently and there is a vacancy.  They are in the midst of a remodel, and it won't be ready for a few months.  Possibly early next year.  She is at the top of their list for potential residents, and we will tour the property very soon.

When I spoke with her initially, she was overwhelmed with the idea of moving and the need to down-size.  Very understandable... but when I spoke with her a few days later, she was at peace with it and believes that God's hand is in all of it.  **Insert a little happy, praise dance here.**


With that out of the way, I was able to fully focus on getting everything ready for the crafting classes.  The Magnetic Prayer Boards were fun to make, and each one as unique as the 8 ladies that participated.


Up next was the craft time with the youth to make a dozen jar mixes.  Sadly, it was postponed.  But we have all of the ingredients, recipes, tags, jar covers ready to go in a few weeks.

As promised, here are the recipes/instructions for assembling them and for preparing them.

Sand Art Brownies

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour + 2 Tablespoons
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecan or walnut pieces

Layer ingredients in a 1-quart canning jar in the order listed.

In large bowl, combine jar contents and 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 eggs and 1/3 cup oil.  Mix well.   Bake in a 9”x9” pan at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

*************

“Special“  Sand Art Brownies

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup GF flour + 2 Tablespoons
2/3 cup maple sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup GF flour + 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup GF chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecan or walnut pieces
1/2 cup GF chocolate chips

Layer ingredients in a 1-quart canning jar in the order listed

In large bowl, combine jar contents and 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 eggs and 1/3 cup oil.  Mix well.   Bake in a 9”x9” pan at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

*************

Power Bar Jar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
Top with pecan or walnut pieces

Layer ingredients in a 1-quart canning jar in the order listed.

In large bowl, combine jar contents and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter or oil and 1/2 cup peanut butter.  Mix well. 
Bake in a 13”x9” pan at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

*************

“Special“ Power Bar Jar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup GF flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 cup Guittard chocolate chips (made with coconut sugar)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
Top with pecan or walnut pieces

Layer ingredients in a 1-quart canning jar in the order listed.

In large bowl, combine jar contents and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup melted coconut oil and 1/2 cup almond butter.  Mix well. 
Bake in a 13”x9” pan at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

*************
These jars make marvelous gifts for any occasion.  They are quick and easy to put together and the recipient can prepare for their enjoyment as their schedule allows.  The youth will get to take one jar with them at the end of the meeting and the remainder of the jars will be included in the Thanksgiving food bags that will be delivered for the holidays.  They get a sweet treat, a short lesson about how all things work together for the best... because just sugar all the time is bad for you, you wouldn't want just flour either.  But when all of the ingredients are combined in the proper way, we can have something wonderful.  And they are contributing to a local mission outreach.


In between the prep work and classes, I was able to have several little therapy sessions that allowed me to finish another crazy quilt ~ Wild Fans ~ from the orphan blocks of Mary Margaret Smith. The quilting design features over-sized Baptist fans with lines spaced 2" apart.  You can see more detailed photos by following the highlighted link above.

Our shower project continues, but we are almost ready to put tile in the shower basin.  Woohoo!

And the box of t-shirts will be started Monday morning... Fingers crossed, I'll have a flimsy ready for quilting by the week's end.

Last week, I was intimidated by the tasks I had before me, but once I just started... with the most difficult one, everything else went smoothly... all-in-all, a fabulous week!  I just had to get started.  I hope that yours was just as grand.


This week's randomly selected Sew & Tell feature is by Alycia at Alycia Quilts.  She shared thoughts on creatives and our tendency to start a lot of things...

"Who says we have to finish everything that we start? 

Who says that if we don't finish it we have wasted our time?

I have found some things that I haven't finished, and I probably won't... so I put them in a decide later pile. That way... I can think on them - do I want to take the time, do I want to pass them on? Who would benefit from this? or.... is it better to use as a rag?  (and yes - that is acceptable too)"

I so get this! And, in the end, her cowgirl heart was happy... and that's all that really matters!

Now it is your turn... join the Sew & Tell party by sharing a link to your most recent project you are proud of! 🎉 Bun before you go... do you share this same train of thought?  

A few years ago I decided that the number of quilts completed did not matter. What matters is that I enjoy the process of quilting!  'Nuf said ;)

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


10 comments:

  1. I am sure your heart feels uplifted knowing that your mom is at peace with the future move. So nice to hear there is a friend in the same apartment complex. Thank you so much for sharing the recipes. The brownies sound so yummy. Hope you have a lovely day. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are working out just as they should for your mother. I am eager to try these recipes and maybe make some for the holidays or a craft fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holee cow - you had quite the week!! those magnetic prayer boards look cool! and the cookie mixes -w hat a fun idea, and a sweet thing to include in your food boxes. I like your Wild Fans Crazy quilt - that blue makes everything just pop. Thanks for understanding me *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sand Art brownies sound good. I actually try to 1) use current stash and 2) make as many quilts as I can as I donate 90% of my quilts to good causes. I view my quilting as a win, win, win situation. I win because I am making a dent in my stash, I donate to people who need the quilt, and I'm a happy camper when I am playing in my studio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish on the Wild Fans quilt. Thanks for sharing the recipes. Yum! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/04/wednesday-wait-loss-348

    ReplyDelete
  6. Downsizing----I am trying very hard to do that myself and sure feel I'm going nowhere fast. I just want to move into the camper and leave the house abandoned LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to learn how to make a prayer board.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Beth from Nancy's Notions. I've been trying to reach you about your Quilt & Tell submission. I have replied to your email but it keeps getting rejected. Perhaps you have spam blocker keeping me out? Please reach out at inspiration@nancysnotions.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melva, I agree with you and Alycia about UFOs and such. I have a few blocks that were done for a quilt along and they are not pretty. They are, however, perfect to stitching on top of - so there. No need to make the quilt if you don't want it. With my art quilts, I'm used to cutting through things to reassemble them. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad your mom has a peace about her move. I know that makes your life easier when the time comes. The magnetic prayer boards look like they would be a fun craft. I love the mason jar mixes! They really do make great gifts! Thanks for sharing your recipes. Your Wild Fans quilt is great! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete