Friday, September 15, 2023

Still on the Greens

Kermit the Frog had a song... 

It's not that easy bein' green
Having to spend each day
The color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer
Bein' red or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that...

But green's the color of spring
And green can be cool and friendly like
And green can be big like an ocean
Or important like a mountain or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why
But why wonder, why wonder?
I am green and it'll do fine
It's beautiful and I think it's what I wanna be.



I selected two different sets of green blocks to combine them for another table topper, bordered with a print of cream and shades of green of pink vines/flowers.  The wavy grid in the center was needed since the blocks were inconsistent in size and corners didn't match very well.


This left the border wide open allowing me to continue the practice of feathers.  Last week I shared my experience and frustrations with problems on the right side of the feathers.  I attempted to flip the direction that I made the feathers... better, but not the best.  

As Dave and I enjoyed our walk after lunch I was visually practicing the new direction of movement (including moving my hands/arms).  He laughed and asked me what I was doing... I explained that I was ending up with skipped stitches when I went one direction and wasn't sure if it was something *I* was doing, or if it was the machine and the direction that I was making the stitches.

He suggested that I move the needle position to the right.  You see... a few weeks ago when we reset the timing of our friend's sewing machine, he learned about where to adjust the timing of the hook/bobbin thread and why.  It's all a little complicated and confusing, but I gave it a go when we returned from our walk.
And... IT WORKED!  Well, it took care of 95% of my problems.  I feel so much better now!  My "groove" returned and now that I feel confident with the basic feathers, I'll be able to move on to another piece where I can try some fancy feathers. I'll be honest... I am intimidated by these. 😟

Are you doing any sewing this weekend?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


5 comments:

  1. What a lovely finish for your table! Isn't it amazing what wisdom our husbands have, I regularly ask my hubs his point of view on something in the sewing room and have learned to trust what he says! No sewing in this house until I finish up my rooms switcheroo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that hubby helped with your feather conundrum and you got a pretty table topper out of it! I did Angela Walters " FM Feather Challenge" back in 2021 and learned a lot of new ways to stitch feathers. Was able to quilt two quilts with the designs she showed as a result. The (free) videos are still on You Tube or can be picked up from the links on her "Quilting Is My Therapy" Website under the "Free Motion Challenge" tab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah what a beauty, Melva and your feathers look amazing. Love that poem. Kermit was always one of my favorite muppets. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great on your table. glad you found a solution!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feathers are something I wonder if I’ll ever manage! My best artistic endeavor is drawing a beautiful flat sign!! I am going to enjoy an afternoon picking raspberries and piecing some Alaska blocks. I might try my hand at designing a bed jacket, so I can better enjoy a bit of knitting or reading before lights out now that it’s getting colder at night. Last year I used my robe, but it is very unwieldy!

    ReplyDelete