Thursday, October 5, 2023

Houndstooth Mini Quilt ~ #40/52


My last min-quilt, the Baby Buffalo Check (#39/52), inspired me to design/make a Houndstooth mini.  As I searched for a detailed photo to base my pattern on, I also found a little bit of history on it...

"Modern yet universal, houndstooth is a staple print that never loses its luster. In recent years, there has been a revival of the two-toned textile as seen on models strutting down the runway donning new designer styles.

Houndstooth, also known as “shepherd’s check” is a classic pattern that coined its name after it’s resemblance to the shape of a dog’s tooth. It consists of irregular pointed squares commonly seen in black and white duotone and is also a prime example of a tessellation.


Worn as an outer garment by shepherds, houndstooth originated in wool cloth from the Scottish Lowlands dating back to the 19th century. Even though the pattern emerged over a century ago, the popularity of the print did not step into the fashion world until the 1930s.

Houndstooth was initially adopted by the upper class as a status symbol for wealth upon arriving to the style scene. Christian Dior was one of the first designers to incorporate houndstooth in his designs for the 1948 Haute Couture spring/summer collection. In 1959, French shoe designer Roger Vivier created pointed court heels for Dior with a smaller scale version of the pattern. Six years later, he enlarged it for a turquoise and black A-line coat.

Even though houndstooth is commonly seen in black-and-white, many modern variations have hit the catwalk. Designers from across the globe have re-envisioned the traditional mosaic by toying with its color and scale. The remixed print captivates the eye while paying tribute to the past. Houndstooth is a classic print for old and new fashionistas that never goes out of style."

Houndstooth is mainly associated with the autumn-winter season because it is used on warm, woolen fabrics. Since it is Autumn/leaves-are-turning season, it is only natural that I give a houndstooth mini a try! 


Doesn't it look wonderful with my teacup cozy and tea jar?  I'll be baking up my power bars and be ready for a snack mid-morning.  Who wants to join me?

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m

11 comments:

  1. This is my new favorite...being the houndstooth Bama fan I am!! I would love it in black and white like the Bear's hat!! LOL Really cute, Melva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva! This is very cute and it does look fetching with your teacup cozy and jar. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new mini quilt is adorable, Melva. Such tee tiny pieces- beautiful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Houndstooth mini is adorable! How's the weather where you are? On a different note, do you have access to any grocery stores or places like Home Depot at your location? Just curious. :D Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buffalo checks are a favorite of mine. I do like your houndstooth though. Thanks for the history lesson on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really cute. But like Brenda, I am also a Bama fan. I made one for the best supervisor I ever had. You can see it here. https://shesstitchinagain.blogspot.com/2020/01/happy-new-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your minis are adorable, Melva!!! Interesting to read the history, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a cute, little mini! I love the pinked edge, for something a little different!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melva, thanks for linking up your Houndstooth mini to Free Motion Mavericks. After I read your post, I went down the rabbit hole of the internet, looking at hand-woven houndstooth patterns. That's where I first discovered the pattern, although I'm not sure if I made something with it. I'm hoping to get back to my loom some day and that would be a great pattern to make. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely mini quilt, the pattern looks very pretty.
    Thank you for sharing your projet - and the story - and linking up!

    ReplyDelete