Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Sewing for Lent - Sewing Kits

As Fat Tuesday rolled by and ushered in Ash Wednesday, a time of reflection, repentance and preparation for Resurrection Sunday, also known as Easter, I find myself contemplating my relationship with God.

As I shared last year in my Little Dresses for Lent story, the idea of giving something up or taking on something new and how it is supposed to be a challenge and draw you closer to the Lord... with the intent that you need to draw closer to God to gain strength to complete the challenge or task.



While I still have plenty of the plaid fabric (and other suitable fabric) for the little dresses that were included in our church's Operation Christmas Child Shoe Boxes, I feel compelled to creating small sewing kits.


I have a pattern printed out... but for the life of me I cannot find the original post for it on Beyond the Reef's blog page.  I will be keeping the basics of the pattern (size and general construction of it) but I will modify it and sharing a simple tutorial.

I have plenty of felt to be used for the needle holding portion of the the book-like kit, lots of scrap pieces of batting and tons of scrap fabric in my scrap bin that will accommodate the 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" cover and inside.

And if I have trouble finding large enough pieces, I can always string piece the covers... how cute would that be???

You may notice my notation at the top of the pattern picture a list of items to be included so that the child receiving the shoe box actually has something to sew together.

6 pins
5 needles
A spool of thread
40 charm squares

In addition to these items I am planning on including two or three buttons.  And for the spool of thread I thought I would use bobbins.  Perhaps I can even get a few LQS to donate some pre-wound bobbins.  

But, I wonder... 

Should instructions be included?  I'm thinking some Ikea assembly instructions - no words - only pictures. 

Do you think 40 charm squares is enough?  

Should a piece of flannel be included as a backing?

Or just let them use as their creativity and desire leads them?

Please leave a comment letting me know your thoughts.  I welcome your input and ideas.  Be sure to include your email address with your comments so that I can correspond with you about this. 😁

Quilt on and stay at peace,

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
WOW at Esther's Quilt Blog
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
UFO Busting at Tish in Wonderland
Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrap Bag
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation


6 comments:

  1. I love this idea of a positive giving project for Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the Operation Christmas Child boxes for the older kids. Yes, lots of pictures for instructions. Maybe you can find some of those mini spools of thread, like in sewing kits. Try the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I've been using a little needle book I received 20 years ago at a quilt luncheon. It was simple but nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! They may use the fabric squares to mend their clothing with as well. If they were to make a quilt top, how would they finish it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I give basic instructions, and not too much fabric as that might be overwhelming. Just enough to make a small project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! As for including more such as flannel, I'm thinking that's great if you can do it. I agree to include only enough for a small project. That's best for first timers anyway. Thanks for linking this to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete