Monday, March 18, 2019

The Adventure Quilt - Ocean Waves





Kate & Tammy's  great Adventure and Road Trip quilt continues!  This week's block takes us to the ocean... Ocean waves!

And almost exactly 21 years ago our family ventured to California for spring break.  We were able to stay with a friend in San Juan Capistrano, explore the area and spent a day at Disneyland.  

So of course we spent an afternoon at the beach.  Bearing in mind it was March and a little cooler... so the beach that Renee took us to wasn't busy at all.  I don't recall anyone else... AT ALL!




It was the first ocean beach experience for Dave and the girls.  


We cautioned them that it would be a little cool and asked that they only go up to their knees... "don't get your clothes wet" is what I stated (I think)....

Oh well!  Never mind...  The squeals of delight were worth it.


I had been once about 4 years before when I made the trip solo for Renee's wedding.  There is just something about the power of the waves... the sound... the energy.  It can be mesmerizing.   


Renee and I enjoyed from the waves from a distance.  Besides... she had a baby in the belly that I got to feel move!



The Pacific Ocean is the only ocean I have seen in person.  We have made several trips back to Southern California since then for weddings and we dream of making a trip up the coast to Oregon and Washington state.




I have experienced several other large lakes, like the Great Lakes... where you can't see the other side of the lake.  It might as well be the ocean.  I would like to see the Atlantic (much rougher I am told) as well as the Gulf Coast.  Add these to my "bucket list" of places to visit!

I don't think that I could live there... too much wind.  We get plenty of wind here and the coast wind is so different - more of a breeze, but constant.  I think the wind and the sound would eventually wear me down and cause an off mood.  But I love to visit!  The sand between my toes...



I have spring fever bad!  Dave does too... and we are aching (say that with angst... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAching) to get away with our truck and camper!


Tell me, do you have or get spring fever?  
What do you do to combat this feeling?  

Leave a comment because I love to see what my readers have to say.  Be sure to leave your email address so I can respond. :)

Piece Out,

Melva 
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series


Linking with:

Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts
Works In Progress at Silly Mama Quilts
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
WOW at Esther's Blog
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts

Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter



9 comments:

  1. It is warm and sunny today and spring is definitely in the air although it almost guaranteed that we are not done with the snow and cold yet. There is still so much snow to melt too but one of my plants that gets a lot of sun has some green in it. I am not a fan of the beach but we visited the Washington and Oregon coast many times with my husband's parents when our children were small. We would go camping with them almost every summer. Good memories. Your blocks are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring fever hit me hard this year - can't wait for warmer weather! So to help I quilted (of course) a rainbow wall hanging, and we splurged on a new patio set. So now I'm really anxious!
    basaran.family (at) rogers (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snail trails blocks! it will be a very peaceful and comforting quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how those blocks mimic the waves. I have alway wanted to make a snail tail quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. spring can not come soon enough!! especially since its my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great, I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice ocean block! Looks like fun vacation memories, too. I get spring fever a little bit here in snowy Colorado. So far, Life has been busy enough that it just comes and goes without real attention. Now that we'll be empty nesters, though, it's nice to look forward to late winter/early spring trips to Florida for some Gulf Coast vacation time to visit the two daughters who will be living out there for the forseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful blocks! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss. I like cool weather but I am earning for spring!

    ReplyDelete