Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Little Dresses for Lent & Small, Smaller, Smallest Hop

Last November I spent 10 days or so making 26 "Little Dresses" for the Operation Christmas Child shoe box event that took place at our church.  

And a few weeks ago, in the early morning my brain was awake, but my eyes were not (again), and I was contemplating the Lenten Season that had just begun.  I have never really been one to "give up" or fast from something during Lent, it just wasn't something the denomination I was raised in did... 

The whole idea of the fasting is to do without and draw closer to God - it isn't something that you are supposed to be able to really benefit from, like giving up chocolate and losing 5 pounds.  Whatever it is that you give up is supposed to be a challenge, difficult - a sacrifice.  Same in taking on something... 

I know several people that, rather than give up something, take on something.  A niece years ago agreed to do the dishes after dinner for her parents.  A facebook friend has done various things such as making quilt blocks for a charitable organization or quiet books for the children of her church.

But the other morning, the Lenten season, yards and yards of plaid fabric and the pattern for "Little Dresses" would not leave my mind - until I had decided that I would take on making these dresses for OCC shoe boxes through out the 6+ weeks of the Lenten Season. 





So, I made a list of supplies and headed to my local quilt shop (I say this tongue in cheek, because it is the fabric department of Walmart) and purchased the necessary elastic, bias tape and thread that the project required.









Thanks to the help of a friend that asked to participate in this project, I have 16 dresses done... ultimately the goal is to get 40 dresses complete or run out of fabric - which ever comes first.  I'm telling you I have yards of the plaid fabric!  


However, because the majority of the shoe boxes that will have the dresses will end up in the same little village, I have decided to add in a few others with some other fabric that was given to me.



Can you imagine it?  A village full of children, let say 50 children, and half are girls, and all 25 girls have matching dresses!  This makes me giggle, just a little...



As the title of this story indicates a hop, I am participating in the Small, Smaller, Smallest blog hop which is hosted by Carol at Just Let Me Quilt.  Today is day 2 (my post was shared yesterday) and below you will find a list of all the bloggers participating today.



You will find creative projects from each blogger and get lots of inspiration.  Have fun!
Be sure to come back after Easter to see all of the "Little Dresses" that get created!

Would it be bad to send  all of the dresses to the same village (again, I giggle)?  Or would it be better to send some to the  Little Dresses for Africa office?  Do you know of other organizations that could use some?  Let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment below.

Be blessed,

Melva

Linking up with:
Fiber Tuesday at the Quilting Room with Mel
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Main Crust Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
Movin' It Forward Monday at Em's Scrap Bag
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation




Melva Loves Scraps - Home of "Quilters Through The Generations"

13 comments:

  1. Your dresses are beautiful. The girls would probably like to match, most of them anyway :-). I'm sure they will appreciate them alot!! Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I cannot help but remember how happy our youngest was to match her sister, and how irritated the oldest was because they matched. LOL Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Your dresses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. It has been a fun and worthwhile project to use up fabric that was given to me, but not suitable for quilts. Blessings...

      Delete
  3. We pack shoeboxes at our church, but I never thought to put little dresses in them. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 25 little girls all dressed alike is a fun image - I hope then send you one! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a volunteer with OCC here in Canada for many years. I was so pleased to read about your commitment to make these dresses. I love sharing ideas for the shoeboxes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan for taking the time to leave a comment. And thank you for your commitment to OCC. It is a great program that our church supports year-round by shopping end of the season sales for various items such as school supplies, clothing, etc.

      I hope that you will visit Melva Loves Scraps again soon. Blessings...

      Delete
  6. That would be so perfect, looking at all those cuties wearing matching dresses. I love making them. Yours are too cute with the plaid fabric .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think those little girls would all feel connected, like sisters, sharing common threads. Go for it, send them to the same village.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful thing to take on for Lent. Truly marks the season. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of them all having matching dresses. I think the girls will thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever there would be a way to get a picture of it, I would love it!

      Delete