Saturday, March 30, 2019

2019 Color Challenge - Navy Blue


The 2019 Monthly Color challenge by Patterns by Jen highlights the color navy blue and the flower Love In A Mist.

This is a flower that I am not familiar with and this is what I found...




Gardens are not the only medium in which this plant has exhibited its special charms. Over time, these blossoms have become a large part of myth and magic. Although most people think that the name “love in a mist” came about purely for the nigella’s frothy appearance, some legends tell a different story. 

One such tale tells of Frederick I Barbarossa – the holy Roman Emperor – who, in fact, drowned in the Saleph River while leading a Crusade through Turkey. During this Crusade, it is said that a spirit of the water seduced the Emperor, leading him into the shallow river which ultimately led to his demise. On the shore, a delicate nigella flower blossomed, and is thought to represent his own departed spirit – which is now enmeshed with that of water. 

In magic, the nigella flower is considered a Venus herb. Unlike most Venus herbs, though, these plants are not only used to attract love, but to represent the strong feminine power of an alluring woman. As well as being used in love charms, these plants are also applied to spells that can bring about glamour and the binding of a person’s spirit.

The magical associations with the nigella flower carry over into its symbolism. These blooms are often said to represent the chains that bind people together – usually in love, but sometimes in bitterness. They are also said to express perplexity and intrigue, and are often given as gifts to tell the recipient that the giver is fascinated, or simply has a crush.




The temperatures are warming, the moisture is slowly switching from snow to rain and the grass and spring bulbs are starting to emerge... If I were to send this flower - Love in a Mist - to someone, it would be Spring!  "Dear Spring - your weather patterns perplex me!  A few warm days followed by snow storms, blizzards even.  What's up with that?"

Just days before Dave and I said I do, our parents finally (after nearly two years of being together and 1,200 miles apart) were able to meet.  It was a little awkward and strained, but brief.  I remember that his parents brought me roses - five yellow roses and one red rose. Dave's dad explained that the yellow roses represented the friendship and love they felt for me from a small portion of the family - Paul & Sandi (Mom & Dad) and the siblings that made the trip (Pat, Chris and Amy) and one single red rose for the deep, romantic feeling from Dave.  

Awww... what a sweet gesture!  This was one of the first examples of a message in a bouquet of flowers.  I just like flowers for the way they look or smell.  It was fascinating when you really look at the language of flowers.

So far we have had 

Bells of Ireland = Good luck
Pink Carnations = I'll never forget you
Love in a Mist = Perplexed; Intrigue

Hmmm... I wonder what sort of message is being sent?

Everyone has a favorite flower... mine is a wild rose.  It looks very delicate, yet has to be pretty hardy to be able to survive the wild and not be overtaken by grasses and other plants.  


What is you favorite flower? 


Leave a comment letting me know... I love hearing from my readers. :)

Keep calm and quilt on,

Melva

Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series




Linking with:

2019 Color Challenge with Patterns By Jen






2 comments:

  1. My favorite flowers are iris. So many colors, types and sizes...love them! The language of flowers...some definitions certainly leave room for lots of interpretation!! Fun to play with though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to pick a favourite ... like you I find the delicate simple beauty of single roses very attractive and if I can find one which is scented then I'm in flower heaven :-)

    ReplyDelete