Tuesday, January 22, 2019

2018 Color Challenge Finish

Last week we had a road trip planned for my husband's  our business (he does the actual work in the shop, I do the office stuff)... it would be a 10 hour drive on the first day, two days at a trade show in Dallas and then a short 3 hour ride to our next destination in Seymour, TX for a few days and the return home, 6-1/2 hours.

I worked feverishly to have plenty of hand-stitching to pass the time on the road.  I had two quilts to hand sew the binding and another quilt needed six feathered wreaths hand stitched.









And I am pleased to report that I completed all of the hand sewing with the exception of one feathered wreath.  I had time... but my hands just refused to do any more!













Once the binding on the 2018 Color Challenge quilt binding was complete, and thread tails carefully tucked away, I headed out to a fence that holds our friends' goats for a photo shoot.  Our friends in Seymour, TX is home of the Lazy J Goat Farm and was home to my namesake, Melva, the patchwork-faced Nanny.

When I first headed out there the little girls were hopeful that I had some food for them to enjoy... and were quite interested in what I was doing.  

However, I was not quick enough to get a picture with them right by the fence and the quilt.  



I am happy to have this quilt complete and am relieved to know that it didn't become a UFO buried in my closet.  The rainbow striped fabric with a black background was perfect for the binding and has been hanging out in my stash for some time.  It wasn't something I purchased, but like the farm animal backing, was acquired from others cleaning out their personal stash.  The narrow flange of light grey offers a nice break and transition.

It seems just perfect that the farm animal fabric was photographed at Lazy J Goat Farm!








As I pieced the rows with the setting squares on the edge, I had envisioned feathers.  But once the top was sandwiched I could not ignore the call for it to be a more modern, linear type of quilting.

It reminded me of a weather vane and the Scripture from Proverbs 3:5-6 came to mind... Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He'll make your path straight.



I carried similar quilting lines into the borders...




While there were only 12 blocks in the challenge, my layout required 13.  So, an extra block was created, creating a Baker's Dozen.  It is the upper right block in the fence shots above.

If you missed each of the monthly posts, you can find them all under the 2018 Color Challenge tag or, Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Green, Purple, Yellow-Green, Red-Orange, Red-Violet, Blue-Violet, Blue-Green and Black & White.  

Finished size of this quilt is 61 inches, square.

Many thanks Patterns By Jen for the fun challenge and exercises in color value.  It has been a fun learning experience and I am looking forward to the 2019 Color Challenge.

We had great fun on our trip.  But... It feels good to be home... There's no place like home... there's no place like home!  However, I will be dealing with all of the laundry today

I stitched my way down the road... and we listened to an audio book that we borrowed from the local library.  Ashes From Beauty  by Win Blevins - a book about a young man that joins up with some mountain men and falls in love with an Crow Indian woman names Meadowlark.  It was a good fit for the two of us to listen to... Mountain man and Indian adventures with a romance story woven in!


What do you do to pass the time?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Quilt Happy!

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:

Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts 
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River
BOMS Away at What A Hoot Quilts
Movin' it Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
UFO  Bustin' at Tish In Wonderland

4 comments:

  1. Hello There, Melva! Proverbs 3:5-6 was one of the first verses I memorized - and I love how you incorporated it into your quilt. I added your book, Beauty for Ashes, on to my Want to Read list at Goodreads! The title is part of my life verse! I'm so glad I found you on Linky Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and how fun to take photographs of it by a goat farm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your color challenge sampler quilt! The farm was the perfect backdrop for a photo shoot and the fence really lets you show off those beautiful blocks. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melva, I'm thrilled that you had a wonderful trip. Yes, it's always good to be back home. Your finish is wonderful. I'm sorry that your hand gave out and you just couldn't do any more. However, you did lots. I love the backdrop for your photos. Back in the day when I had a chaffeur, I loved to cross stitch in the car. Of course, I caught heck for it. The controlling chaffeur got irritated when I didn't get the CD changed the exact second when it started over. Also, I w ok at the scenery. The chaffeur had a set agenda for me that did not mesh with my agenda. Now, that I'm not able to work any more, I have my TV on 24 hours a day for company. I can't say that I even listen to it all the time. I'm trying to get my mojo for quilting into action.

    ReplyDelete