Wednesday, December 26, 2018

2108 Color Challenge - Black & White


The final block in the 2018 Color Challenge from Jen at Patterns by Jen is Black & White.

A few weeks ago my husband and I were watching the Netflix series "The Crown".  More specifically, the episode of Princess Margaret having an official photograph done... and suddenly it brought back a flood of memories from a summer visit to my Grandparent's home in Tucson, AZ... 

My brother must have expressed some interest in photography because I recall tagging along on several photo shoots.  

One particular lesson involved a trip to the zoo.  It was mid-summer and quite warm...even in the morning.  At there was a bear that was enjoying a cool down in a small pool of water.



I remember thinking "I want to do that"... cool off, that is.  I mean, it was summertime... in Tucson!  It was hot...  I was about 12 years old... While I was enjoying the time at the zoo, I was bored with the photography stuff.

When we returned to the house for the afternoon, we headed to the dark room, much cooler than being out in the sun, for a lesson in the developing process.  I don't recall details... other than there were a few shallow trays containing different chemicals... and at some point a red light was turned on so that you could see what you were doing.

Thus, the reason for my inclusion of a splash of red in my block...





Image may contain: text
I do love to document life's events by snapping pictures and placing the photos in albums so that I can go back and enjoy the moments captured in the photo. There is that saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words".  And there is just something about  a black and white photo that conveys a statement of elegance.  

(These are not photos taken by me... rather, credit goes to the photographer of my daughter's wedding.)

Image may contain: 1 person, dancing, standing, wedding and indoor
For just a moment... time stands still.  For just a moment... you can "remember when".  For just a moment... you can time travel.


Sign ups - NOW


I will soon be using more black and white blocks that had been the start of a project by someone else for a quilt that I will feature in the Black & White blog hop January 21-24 that is hosted by Carla at Creatin' in the Sticks.  Be sure to come back and see what develops!


I hope that there were some moments that you captured in your memory, like snapshots in an album, this year, and that you Christmas season has been blessed.

Quilt Happy!

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series


Linking with:

2018 Color Challenge at Patterns by Jen
Christmas Linky Party at Freemotion by the River
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict



4 comments:

  1. You've GOT to love a splash of red or yellow (or lime green!) in black and white blocks. Adds a little zing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband was a photographer. I can remember him practicing different f-stops and whatever by photographing our firstborn. After he left the dark room, I sneaked in and rescued all the "bad" pictures from the trash can. He saw photos, but I saw my adorable 2 year old son! LOL Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your block, but I especially love your inspiration. Your block so fits the theme! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete