Saturday, May 26, 2018

May Color Challenge - It's Not Easy Being Green




Who remembers the song that  Kermit the Frog sang years ago?

See the source image





Currently in Southern Colorado we are in the midst of some severe/extreme drought conditions and often have high fire dangers... so this song is what came to mind as I pieced my May 2018 Color Challenge block from Patterns by Jen.



Having grown up in So. Colorado, the lack of moisture was a common occurrence and frequent topic among the farmers and ranchers... Oh, spring would come and the trees would leaf out and offer some color to the land and those with yards had to water often and work to maintain a green yard.  



It wasn't until I was 19 and traveled to the rural Chicago-land area to meet my future husband's family that I saw what truly lush green landscape looked like.  




WOW! was about all I could say.  And to try to describe it to my parents when I returned was difficult.  Even pictures didn't do it justice.  Where I was used to having wide open spaces and clear views on the plains so that you could nearly make out the landmark of Fishers Peak in Trinidad from the far northeast region of Colorado... Illinois the trees and vines grew tall and thick so that you could barely see across the river.

Of course, then even the mid-west greens don't compare to the lushness and emerald-ness of Ireland, so I am told...

Perhaps it was an unconscious selection of the green fabric that I used that reflects my childhood memories and resulted in the mono-chromatic look of the block.  Funny how a mind works...

There are as many varying shades of green as there are variety of trees and flowers...


What is your favorite green?  
Do you prefer Emerald, Olive or Lime? Or???


Leave a comment and let me know.  I love to hear from my readers!

Piece Out...

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

9 comments:

  1. I don't like green very well. It took a long time to figure it out. I was abused in several green places, so I'm having to learn that God created the beautiful green lawns, trees, and leaves of flowers, etc. I have very few green clothes and very few green fabrics. I do have some woven greenn cottons to make a quilt. I'm learning to embrace certain shades easier than others. I have two yellowy green patches in my yq4n 4ith5 now that look out of place. I think the law service put too much chemical in those two spots. What a great question! I bet it is hard being green. My adult son loves turtles. I'm thinking of making him a fun quilt and even thinking of making other than the traditional green/brown turtles for his quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva,
    Was it that long ago that I enjoyed Kermie and Ms. Piggy?? I can still sing all the songs from watching with the niece and nephews. I live near Chicago in SE Wisconsin, and am fighting all those growing weeds that are oh-so-green right now with all the monsoon rains we have had. I'm not complaining as we rarely have fire scares. Oh, and I love your Piece Out!! Happy Saturday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosanne... it is a long time ago that Kermy and Miss Piggy were a part of my life. I recall all of the Muppet movies as a teen and then of course the returned to my daily life when our girls watched Sesame Street. Enjoy your weekend. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Hi! Here in the south of England we are very used to green and lush growth especially this time of year. It's unusual to see parched grass. My favourite green is lime - I think that's because my favourite season is Autumn and lime green fits in well with that colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lime green is my youngest daughter's favorite color! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I love that you share a story with each block. I don't think there is a green I don't like. Thank you for sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... just my thoughts as I piece. :) I have enjoyed all of the blocks.

      Delete
  5. Love seeing Kermit - he was my buddy a long time ago (uh, like 40 years), and now sits lonely in the closet. Maybe he gave me love of bright green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, Kermit was a good friend. All of the Sesame Street characters really. :) Do you remember when Oscar the Grouch was orange? That may be dating myself... lol!

    ReplyDelete