Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Black & White Blog Hop

Welcome to the final day of the Black and White hop hosted by Carla at Creatin' in the Sticks.  There will be a list of all bloggers participating at the end of the post...



When I signed up to participate in this hop I knew exactly what my source of inspiration would be...  



These were passed on to me from a local fellow quilter who was trying to lighten her load/stash since her interests had changed.  She still enjoys quilting on occasion, but is not passionate about it anymore. 



I had no idea what I would create, but I did know that I needed a baby quilt for a shower... (yep, another baby shower!  You can see the other one on my Save The Bees Finish) and the theme was Dr. Seuss...  not exactly black and white, but I thought I could make it work. After all, that cat in the hat is a black and white pencil sketch with a splash of red in the tie and hat.







I started making four-patch blocks.  



I dove into my stash and found some coordinating colors and wanted to make the blocks a little wonky and playful like the picture above.



With the help of my Mom we had the top pieced, complete with borders and ready for quilting in an afternoon.








There was a winter storm predicted so I planned a No Guilt::Go Quilt day so that I could get the quilting and binding completed the next day.


It wasn't a freezer meal, but it is so simple to put together... 

and who doesn't love Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches (with GF bread for me, of course) for a warm winter meal???



I just toss all the ingredients into my lined crockpot (doubling the recipe and skipping the frying of the onion and garlic part) and let it cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Just before serving stir in a small amount of heavy cream.



I used a two color binding to create the flange look and a pop of color.

So, how did I do?  I think this quilt falls well into the B/W AND Dr. Seuss themes!  Win-Win!  AND, it is my second finish of the year...




The shower was more than a week later.  Sadly, there was another winter storm that prevented me from make the 80 mile trip to the shower.  

I did get a few pictures though.  My youngest grand-daughter, Maggie, was so in love with little Grayson... until he had a poopy diaper - then she said "I don't want it. It stinks."  Haha!

I still have plenty of the scrappy black and white blocks left for another quilt.  I am certain I can find plenty of inspiration from the other bloggers in this hop.  

But, what would YOU make with them?  

Leave a comment... I love to hear from my readers. 

Quilt Happy!

Melva





Black & White Blog Hop Schedule

Monday, January 21st
Just Let Me Quilt
Needled Mom
Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Life in Scrapatch
QuiltFabrication
Scrapdash
Bumbleberry Stitches
keepsake moments
Vroomans Quilts

Tuesday, January 22nd
MooseStash Quilting
SewFreshQuilts
Elizabeth Coughlin Designs
Quilts by Joanne
PamelaQuilts
That Fabric Feeling
Songbird Designs
Two Maker Chicks


Wednesday, January 23
Selina Quilts
Beaquilter
Quilt in a not-Shell
Patchwork Breeze
Adventurous Applique and Quilting
Kathleen McMusing
Cynthia's Creating Ark
Everyone Deserves a Quilt
Homespun Hannah's Blog

Thursday, January 24
Quiltscapes
Seams to be Sew
Storied Quilts
Kathy's Kwilts and More
Ms P Designs USA
Den syende himmel
Melva Loves Scraps
The Joyful Quilter
Creatin' in the Sticks  

37 comments:

  1. Adorable quilt. The colors do make me think of Dr. Seuss. Thanks for the soup recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danice for your kind words and for helping to make the B/W hop a fun event.

      Delete
  2. You made great use of those blocks, and resulting quilt is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one terrific quilt. Love the pops of color. Thanks also for the recipe. Sounds wonderful. Sorry you missed the shower. Two sweet little ones in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely quilt with that wonkiness I like so much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a win-win quilt. It is simple yet very attractive. As I love scraps, I would make a scrap quilt, alternating 4 patches with HSTs and using teal as my splash of colour. Thanks for sharing. Janice.snell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm. love tomato soup! especially with Basil! I think another little baby quilt with some baby zebras would be quite cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute quilt for your precious new little one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LUCKY BABY TO RECEIVE THIS QUILT hjrogers@sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt with those little pops of color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really a fun quilt in those colors. I love it, especially because I'm a huge Dr. Seuss fan. Such a great baby gift quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh your quilt came out just lovely. i know it will be loved. hmm, i think i would make a sewing machine cover with pops of purple. thanks for sharing and for inspiring. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quilt. It definitely embodies the spirit of Seuss. I, too, have a bunch of black and white fabrics. So far, I have fully made a table runner with teal, which I love, and a quilt top, also with teal. I see another black and white and some colour in my near future, maybe a reversible apron?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super quilt for a new baby!! PERFECT for the Black and White Blog Hop, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This hop has certainly given you tons of inspiration as to what else you can do with those scraps.

    I love that quilt with the pops of colors. It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you just love win-win situations? It's a lovely quilt that will work for the baby as he grows. That's another win! Triple Crown! I have really been inspired by the black and whites bags in this hop. I think I would have to try one of those with the leftovers.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great color combo to go with the black and whites for a very fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melva, your quilt turned out great! I love all the color you added and especially the flange. And I do love me some tomato soup! Thanks for sharing the recipe and your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Melva, What a fun quilt to make - It's adorable with those pops of color, and a great use of all the b/w scraps. Thanks for the soup recipe too - that sounds so delish! Now I'm getting hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That quilt is just too cute. I love all the bright colors that bring those black and whites to live. Such sweet little ones. Too bad you couldn't get to visit them. Darn snow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha now that looks like a fun quilt to do ty for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  21. great quilt, i would add them to one of my quilts

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt and your recipe and dinner idea ...marvelous. No Guilt Go Quilt... great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. After four days I'd want to try my own hand at a black and white creation! I'd also add a pop of color - maybe the backing would be rainbow print!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a fun quilt! I'd use some of the blocks for a bib and a burp cloth.
    nikilsend(at)outlook(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Melva,
    Very cute quilt!! Great day to spend with your mom working on this project. I think this pattern would make a perfect quilt project for my group to make for next year's auction. We completed three this year. I helped two new members, one of which was new to quilting, sew the largest top and back together.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A quilt and soup - that is sure fun on this hop. Love the quilt - simple but elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great way to incorporate to projects into one. I love how you framed each 4 patch with color. It's such a fun and whimsical quilt. So inspiring. Thank your for joining the B&W Blog Hop. Your quilt has given me so many ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great quilt! I love the colors with the black and white. Aren't children, especially our own grandchildren, the best? That smile could move the world. She is adorable. When my son and his daughter who was 2 1/2 when they move in, lived with me, my son was not careful with his language. When she started to pre-school, I told him that if she got in trouble at school for her use of foul language, it would be he who would go to school, not I. He told me that it was be he would would have to go to school for anything since he was the parent. I hope that made him think a little bit about his language though. She didn't know any better and didn't know what was appropriate and what was not unless she learned here. He now lives with his girlfriend and they plan to get married later this year. He still says some things he should not and his language is better. One of my friends took her good friend to church. The friend is now basically a physical vegetable with MS. She was almost and could still move a thumb to move her electric wheelchair at that time. She took my granddaughter because I was in a lurch and my son was at work that Sunday afternoon. They were at Walmart in the shoe department. The ladies were not paying enough attention to Jessica and she was irritated so she said, "F*&^" The ladies looked at each other and thought surely not. Then, in a couple of minutes, Jessica repeated it and louder. Both of the women were embarassed and my friend, knowing my son, knew where she had learned that word. So, that gave me good ammunition to talk to my son about his language. She was not cute at that moment and it was not her fault. Thanks for joining the hop and sharing. Glad you have your mom with whom to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love those fabrics and how your quilt turned out, I would love it if we had some snow like yours... I agree tomato soup and grilled cheese, doesn't get any better than that for a nice winter day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Soup and grilled cheese sounds wonderful! Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this! I've been wanting to do something with my black and white prints and I wandered into this blog hop...great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found the hop and lots of ideas. Blessings...

      Delete
  32. This is an adorable quilt! I love the wonky blocks and think they work perfectly! When I saw your pile of scraps from a friend I smiled to myself because I recognized some of the fabrics. I have them in my stash! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really love the colors you choose for your quilt. So pretty. Thanks so much for sharing your tomato soup recipe. I have never made it homemade. I love that it has coconut oil, turmeric, and apple cider vinegar. I will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete