Sunday, December 30, 2018

Best of 2018

As 2018 draws to a close and I reflect on the quilts of the year I look back and see that I have grown as a quilter... 

For a number of years I have been frustrated when people say "I want to buy one of your quilts", but quickly change their mind when I let them know the cost of the said quilt... 

I am no longer offended by their shock or comments.  In fact, recently I even giggled to myself.

Why the sudden change you may wonder?  It is not an all of the sudden thing.  It has taken years to evolve and grow.  It all started years ago in a women's study group when we worked through the book "The Creative Call", a book that helps one to discover and answer the call to be an artist.  At the end of the study one of the participants created "graduation" certificates that said we were now artists.  it also helped that I signed up for various hops and blocks of the month groups that challenged me as a quilter and an artist.

Artists of just about any medium simply must answer the call to create.  It is a part of their soul... their very being.

I find myself at peace most when I am creating something... anything! in my studio.  And while I have certainly created numerous quilts (mostly throw sized or baby quilts and wall hangings - thanks to my participation in monthly blog hops) I have found the most pleasure out of making what I call "Hand-sewn Hellos" - 5" x 7" mini quilts or cards.  Every one unique... like snowflakes, no two alike.

This brings me to my Best of 2018...  By the stats provided, my most popular posts ranked as follows - 



#5 Quilters Meet & Greet
#4 Coming Up in March
#3 Let's Go Camping - Things You Do
#2 No Guilt::Go Quilt
#1 Wish Upon A Star

Interestingly enough, only one of the posts actually focused on a finished quilt...



My personal favorite quilts are ranked as follows - 

#5 - Farmland



#4 - Let's Go Camping - Finished


#3 - Wish Upon A Star - shown in my previous list...

#2 - Grandmother's Flower Garden - A super-sized hexie pattern based on the vintage pattern




#1 - Echoes & Reflections - This was a pattern test for Shannon Fraser and is my favorite because of the traditional style of the pattern and the rich colors that I used... oh, and the feathers!



Based on other social media platforms, here are my top 9 from instagram - where some of my hand-sewn hello cards appeared.  These are hand-cut and feature a few of the local landmarks.  I may try marketing them in the community in 2019.



And my Makelight Colour of the year analysis...


Thanks for journeying through the year with me!  I hope that you will follow along for the coming year.  You can subscribe (in the margin to the right) by e-mail, join me on bloglovin', facebook or instagram.  

I have been working on some "housekeeping" here on the blog.  You may have noticed that I am adding tags to my posts... so if you are interested in seeing all the posts related to the 2018 Color Challenge blocks, just look for that tag... interested in the No Guilt::Go Quilt recipes, look for the tag.

I will also be updating my gallery... you can find that tab at the top of the blog, along with the Quilters Through The Generations tab.  I have enjoyed getting to know each of the featured quilters and hope to enjoy many more stories of quilters from one family in the coming year.  Are YOU from a family full of quilters?  Let me know by leaving a comment below, along with an email address to contact you, or email me at MelvaLovesScraps@NolanQualityCustoms.com.  I would LOVE to hear from you!

I hope that as you review your own year you are able to say that you have grown as well.  I will be planning a few goals for the year to come... 


Are you a goal setter?  
What are YOUR goals?  

Leave a comment to share with me.  Accountability is one of the best ways to secure success.  Let's be accountability buddies!

Quilt Happy!

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series


Linking with:

Best of 2018 Linky party hosted by Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs
Planning Party at Quilting Jet Girl
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag










5 comments:

  1. I make goals or list of quilts I want to get done in the new year. Hoping that if it's written I'll do better. It's helped some. I also make a review of all the quilts I make each year and post on my blog and then I make the goal list. And you are right, artists need to create everyday --it keeps me sane. I have a quote in my sewing room that says, "I just want to make beautiful things even if nobody cares". And it's true. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like getting to see the review posts, Melva, and the opportunity to enjoy seeing beautiful quilts again. I hope you have a great 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous round-up, Melva! I love your mini postcards and how you equate them to snowflakes - love it! And I'm so beyond touched that the Reverberance quilt is one of your favourites! She's a stunner and I loved seeing your take on the classic design with a modern twist :) Look forward to seeing your projects in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a wonderful 2018, I love your finishes especially your sampler quilt. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on creativity. Before I became a quilter, I was an acrylic/oil painter on canvas of abstracts and landscapes. I lose myself in the creative process, time just flies by. And when I have finished one of those bed-sized quilts, I am over the moon for days!

    ReplyDelete