Friday, December 28, 2018

It's A "Wild Life - Midnight Picnic

The December block of the month for the It's A "Wild" Life from Amy at Sew Incredibly Crazy features a rascally raccoon munching on a cookie from a picnic basket... so cute!



I am a lover of "Little House on the Prairie" and remember the episode of when Mary "rescued" a raccoon in the woods and gave it to her sister Laura... and she was going to make a pet out it.  Pa was NOT happy about it...  It happened in Season 1, episode 10.



I had great fun as I was pulled fabric for the block, the woven look for the basket was a given, the sky fabric was left over from the curtains and bed ruffle that my daughter used in her youngest daughter's room.  And I have to admit that I did a silly little dance when I uncovered the tiger print and decided to use it for the jeep!  lol...

Sadly the fate of that little raccoon that Laura had as a pet was not a happy one.  Pa had good reason to be concerned because the little guy was suspected to have rabies and Laura hid the fact that she had been bitten by him.  Fortunately, Dr. Baker was able to prescribe some gumdrops.  I think we all know how it really turns out... Laura went on to live a long life.  

We didn't have raccoons where I grew up... good thing!  I didn't want to risk the the chance of getting rabies.

I have 11 months worth of blocks sewn together and waiting for the January block to be completed and attached to the bottom of the quilt top.  Even though the block was released early, I am simply going to have to wait until January to get it done.  I have baby quilts that need to be completed for two upcoming showers of some young ladies I have had the honor of watching grow into beautiful soon-to-be Moms.



"Little House" was one of my favorite shows in my childhood...  

What was your favorite childhood show?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!


Quilt Happy!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations


Linking with:

Christmas Linky Party at Freemotion by the River
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

8 comments:

  1. Gotta love that jeep! I almost joined this QAL but didn't because I have too many irons in the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is looking fantastic. I really LOVE the jeep. The fabric is perfect for it. I haven't started my quilt yet, but I think it will be very cute to make for my grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful World of Disney was something we watched most Sunday nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking quilt!!! I've enjoyed watching you put this one together. My favorite TV show when I was just a wee one was I Love Lucy. When I was a bit older it was Gilligan's Island because I was in love with the professor. Now I enjoy any medical drama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah is right, Wonderful World of Disney was a Sunday night staple at my house as well. We didn't watch much TV as the only TV we owned was in my parent's bedroom! Another show that comes to mind is Bonanza...it was supposed to have been set around Virginia City, Nevada, near where I grew up, so we watched that occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable block, Melva! We did not have a television until I was nine. My maternal grandparents had a TV so when we went to visit them we got to watch TV after dark. We played outside with the neighborhood kids since they lived in the city. I think my favorite program was The Andy Griffith Show. Kathy Knotts, niece of Don Knotts, lived next door to those grandparents. She and her parents lived in the apartment upstairs. She was a very nice girl. Of course, her uncle never came to visit. She was just a girl like the rest of us. That program was set in a rural area and that's what I knew. I grew up in West Virginia. We had one junior high and one high school in the county. My mother was a teacher and I had her for five classes in high school. A student could not have a parent as an instructor if another teacher taught the same subject. For four years I went to a one room school where I was the only girl in my grade. We had no running water. There was a well. The cook carried the water a very short distance to the kitchen that had been built on to the back of the school to cook and to wash dishes. Older and larger students carried water from the well to crocks in one of the cloak rooms for drinking water and to wash hands. Of course, it was well temperature and then room temperature as the day progressed. One of my friends thinks that I grew up as they did on Little House. We did not think anything about our plight as everyone was in the same situation at school. We also liked Bonanza since our last name was Cartwright. I really thought that I had rich relatives somewhere. I'm thrilled that you are going to be making baby blankets. Isn't it fun to see girls grow up to be beautiful mothers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute block! I didn't get this one, being off Craftsy, but it is a very cute block. My favorite childhood shows pre-date your life, I think. =) They were on the radio, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really enjoyed watching you build this quilt block by block. Love that rascally racoon! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete