Friday, March 2, 2018

Coming Up in March

March is filled with some fun posts and activities...

Next week will be the Small, Smaller, Smallest blog hop hosted by Carol at Just Let Me Quilt.  Just how small of a quilt will I make?  Some of you may have seen a preview on facebook  or Instagram recently.




I will have three more Quilters Through The Generations stories to share.  I absolutely love learning about the featured quilters, how they got started with quilting and the quilters of the family before them; hearing the stories and memories and connecting them to the quilts they make warms my heart.  I hope that you enjoy them as well.




The Color Challenge is hosted by Patterns by Jen and yellow is the color of the month - my Grandma's favorite color - and she, Tressie, would tell you so every time she saw the color, "It's my favorite color, you know" - as if we may have forgotten!  LOL.  I shared a trip down memory lane that centered around her in my Blue Plate Special block in February... 




The "It's a Wild Life" block of the month is a cute mixed technique with piecing and applique this month.



The Quilt Qwazy Queens blog hop featuring UFOs - also known as Un-Finished Objects - hosted by Marian at Seams To Be Sew.  I don't have many UFOs myself, so you will have to watch to see which project gets tackled.




And to celebrate Quilting month I am participating in the Instagram Quilt Fest #IGQuiltFest - MelvaLovesScraps - where daily I will add a photo or collage  based on the daily prompt.




There will be opportunities to win prizes with some of these hops so you will want to follow along by subscribing via e-mail or on Bloglovin' (both can be found in the right-hand margin) so that you don't miss out on all the fun to be had.  

While it will be fun participating in all of these activities, I do still have time to quilt actual quilts... Yay!





My most recent finish is this baby quilt that features "Beatitude Bears" blocks.  Because the blocks are nearly 8" square, the piecing went lickety-split.  I sandwiched the quilt with the fusible batting that I just LOVE!  No pins. No spray adhesive to gum up the sewing machine needle, not to mention the harmful fumes. 


My studio was in a big mess for most of the week as my husband worked on finishing the new sewing table for my Babylock Jazz.  








I did manage to get things back into working order so that I could practice my newly acquired ruler quilting skills.  I knew that I didn't have the luxury of lots of time to fill the squares - and it was kinda like practice - I went with super simple.  A four-petal flower, framed with a scallop on the outer edge in the colored blocks and a large arc on the printed blocks so that it was quilted and would hold the batting in place, but not take away from the pictures of the bears.












So, since the coming month is super busy, I better get moving!  


Tell me, what are YOU looking forward to this month?

I would love to hear from you.  Leave a comment below... and remember be sure to follow me so that you don't miss out on any of the fun and excitement during March.

Blessings,

Melva 

Linking with: 
Let's Make Baby Quilts
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday
Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
Finished Or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation

7 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to all the Blog Hops too. With all the rain we have had lately I haven't been in the mood to get much sewing done. I hope to get some inspiration from seeing all the projects being shown. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are busy. Love the quilting you did on the Bears quilt. You did that with a ruler? Cool! Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are breath of fresh air. I so enjoyed finding your blog. And down the rabbit hole I went.
    Such a cute quilt top. And your clean sewing room: Amazing! Mine is totally the opposite right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for stopping by. I am glad you enjoyed the rabbit hole. And, um, my clean sewing room? Well, because I was prepping for the new sewing table, I was forced to put a lot of "stuff" away. I guess the good thing is is that I will be well organized when it is all done. Maybe too organized. ;)

      Delete
  4. Happy quilting!! I didn't realize how many quilty events were going on this month. Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to wearing my Shamrock Surprise Jacket this month. It's SEW comfy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really cute little bear quilt. :) Ruler skills open a lot of doors, don't they? I'm getting more and more comfortable with mine.Thanks for sharing at TGIFF, and I hope you have a blast with the month's "activities" !

    ReplyDelete