Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Echoes & Reflections

When I saw the pattern from Shannon Fraser Designs for her Reverberance Quilt I just knew that I had to make it.  I love, love, love log cabin blocks and this one was no exception. 




With the variation of the log widths I chose to use deep, rich solid (or primarily solid) fabrics for the narrow logs and print fabrics for the wide logs, much as her pattern suggests and I pulled many of the same fabrics I had used in my Amish inspired quilt a few years ago.  




The Amish communities have a strong belief in tradition.  Echoes of their past seldom change...








The wider logs in the prints reminded me of ripples in a pond where the reflections of the surrounding landscape can become distorted and difficult to make out. 















I like that the quilted feathers offer this very effect...









So, there you have it... Echoes & Reflections.



I made this quilt entirely from my stash and enjoyed the time of making the quilt. It went very quickly!  When I was ready for the binding I went with a scrappy binding using the remaining fat-quarters (they are also the first two wide logs of the quilt).   They feature dragon flies and lily pads and were a gift from my friend, and fellow quilter/blogger, Karen Thurn.









Karen and I had participated in the Cloud 9 blog hop in 2016 where we were challenged to design an original block.  Her block featured a cone flower and mine was a dragonfly, and we are both in agreeance that the two blocks together in a quilt would be stunning, but we may be a little partial. 😄



Reverberance is an excellent pattern for a beginning quilter, and feel that it would be really fun to lead a class using this pattern...  If you love Log Cabin blocks as well and just HAVE to have this pattern, head over to Shannon's and purchase it!

And if you happen to be a first time visitor, I hope that you will spend a little time here and get to know me by taking a look at my about me page and my Gallery.  I hope that you will choose to come back!  You can suscribe (in the margin), join me on Bloglovin' (also in the right margin) or catch me on facebook or instagram.


Are you a log cabin block lover?  
If not, what is your favorite?  
Leave a comment and let me know.

Blessings,

Melva

Linking up with:  
Wednesday Wait Loss at the Inquiring Quilter

4 comments:

  1. Love the fabrics you chose for your quilt, Melva! And the free motion quilting is perfection! Thank you for being a part of this journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful quilt and the quilting really echoes the theme. I love the idea of combining the two Cloud 9 blocks! Can't wait to see how that looks. Thanks for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what block you were making with those fabrics. How thoughtful of you to tie our two blocks together on this post and mention me. I couldn't help but think of you and your dragonfly when I bought this fabric. The mini quilt turned out great. You do free motion quilting very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome to be able to help Shannon out. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete