Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sew & Tell ~ Vintage Revived

A few pictures of some special details 

Last week I added the final finishes to the Baby's First Year quilt - the label - and then looked around wondering what my next project could be.  I had been "dreaming" of a vintage tablecloth that had been included in the box of baby clothes from my customer/friend and decided then and there, that was it.

She actually sent me two of them... this one and a larger pink one.  (I'll show you that one later.)

As I decided on how to quilt it, I could nearly imagine the hours of fellowship shared around this piece...

Who wants to join me for some tea?

As the meal is prepped, the conversations and laughter ensue...  the food is placed on the table and family and guests gather together... some may offer thanks, while others may just dive right in and dish up.  It matters not, but conversation seems to flow much easier when there is a meal involved.  

Defenses are dropped and everyone becomes a bit more honest and real.  Conversations, sometimes heated conversations, ensue.  A recounting of the day's events given.  The good. The bad. Even the ugly.  Laughter is shared... Tears may be shed... Bodies are nourished... Energy is renewed...  Opinions are shared... Jokes told... Milk is spilled... and how many of us have ever cried over spilled milk??? And then were told "I'll give you something to cry about."? ME!

The table is where games are played... where cheaters get caught... stories are told...  The kitchen table is where memories are made.  

This tablecloth, I am certain, holds many memories.  Just imagine the stories it could tell... 

I think many families are missing a great opportunity each and every day.  They grab dinner on the run and the car becomes the "dining room".  

When I make a quilt, it is with the full intention of it being used.  Never mind the size or purpose of it... if it is a throw size, snuggle up under the love and prayers that are stitched into it as you watch tv or enjoy a cup of tea and a good book on a cool day.  If it is a table runner, put it on your table or a counter.


If it is large enough for a bed, by all means... Put it on there!  I pulled out a double wedding ring quilt that had been a graduation gift to my Grandpa Teegarden... He graduated in 1930.  It is in pristine condition... because it lived in a cedar chest for most of its 94 years.  I experience great joy seeing it on the guest bed as I pass by the doorway in the hall.  I am careful that it is not exposed to direct sunlight so it won't fade or damage the fabrics.

The guestroom closet is where the bulk of my stash lives and I find that I can get distracted when I go to the closet to search for a specific fabric as I sit and examine the arcs of the wedding rings... I wonder about what original piece of clothing may have been made with the small bits.  Were they aprons?  Was this one leftover from a dress, or perhaps pajamas?  Was some of it from a men's work shirt?  The questions go on and on... and then I remember the original purpose of my visit to the room/closet. Lol.

My plan is to rotate through the various quilts that I got when Mom moved to her apartment.  


Life is too short to keep the "good stuff" for special occasions.  Why not make each and every day a special occasion?

As I look to the coming week, we are considering sneaking away for a few days to Cimarron Canyon for a short camping trip... I'll need to get some quilted hearts prepared and I have a few postcard blocks to finish up.  These last few will catch me up with the very few trips we have had this year.  

I guess the pink roses tablecloth will simply have to wait...


Time for the Sew & Tell feature! Drum roll please....
Not Afraid of Color showed of some vibrant colors in her projects.  Her lime green Feathered Star has some fun fabrics... "I love that bit of words , the daisies, a Christmas angel, spirals, and that bit of repeated lime has sparkles on it in glitter!"  

And her orange flower is just so sweet as she continues to embellish it with embroidery, beads and sequins.  Make a quick visit to her blog to see it.  You will not be sorry. ;)

Now it is your turn!  I want to see your projects.  But before you go...

What is your opinion on sharing a meal as a family?

I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


1 comment: