Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Pieces of My Life ~ Small Spool & Wrench


 

Welcome back to Pieces of My Life. We have two blocks featured this time...  Another spool (a small one this time - 6" finished) and a classic, the (monkey) wrench.

The memory book page for the spool takes us back to our childhood with questions like "Did you ever learn to knit or sew?" and "Who taught you?"

Well... obviously I know how to sew since I quilt.  I have shared snippets of this story before about how I learned as a young girl when I participated in 4-H.  I learned to knit (and crochet) as well.  You can see pictures of my projects from 1977 by clicking on the link above.


My Mom had the plan to sign me up for sewing and have one of the 4-H leaders teach me.  That leader called Mom and explained that she had several other girls she had to teach, and she had only one machine for them to use... She stated, "I need you to teach Melva since you already know how to sew."

I made a blue, gingham checked skirt for my main project.  I'm sure there were a few other practice projects, but at this moment, I can't recall what they were.  Probably an apron and a drawstring bag.  Somewhere in the deep "archives" I still have the project book and have pulled it out several times as a reference when teaching someone to sew.

I learned to knit from the Mom of a friend ~ Mrs. Piquette.  She was a brave soul to take on five or six giggling girls as she taught us how to cast on, knit and purl.  I am still in touch with several of the gals that were in that class, including Karen, daughter of Mrs. Piquette.  


Another question included is "did you have a special quilt or blanket?".  I have an embroidered nursery rhyme quilt that my Grandma Teegarden made.  I had it on my bed from the time that I can first remember until I was married.  Considering the fact that it is 55 years+ old, and used for nearly 20 years, it is in excellent condition.

My brother had a matching one with blue fabric, rather than pink as the sashing strips.  I don't know where it might be or if he still has it.


One last question that I'll include in this story... "What's the hardest thing you have ever done?" accompanies the Wrench block.

There have been many hard seasons and lessons throughout life.

One of the most difficult things was losing our first baby.  We had announced to our families at Thanksgiving in 1986 that we were expecting.  We had included this news in our Christmas cards that year as well.  Sadly, just days before Christmas, at about 13 weeks, I had some bleeding.  Shortly later, a D&C was required.  I shared in the Diamond Solitaire newsletter story about Dave buying me a diamond pendant necklace for us to remember that first child.  

These raw feelings were recently brought to the surface when we learned that one of our daughters was experiencing the same loss.

The other "hardest thing" was standing by his side and watching Dave as he left his job of 18-1/2 years.  It had become a large part of his identity.  At the same time, the death of my Dad as well as the loss my part-time income as a daycare provider.  It. Was. Alot!  That was 11-1/2 years ago.  It was a difficult time in a dark valley, but as is almost always the case, we grew.  We now place our identity in Christ, rather than in what we do, and we have a greater appreciation for where we are now as a successful self-employed couple.  From day one we placed God as the CEO of our business and give all glory for each success, job completed, and bill paid to Him. 

Our philosophy is this... "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord" ~ Colossians 3:23

We have said for years that God's math is a little like common core math.  It doesn't make sense to us.  We learned to trust that there is always enough.  Not only enough, but usually a little extra... and that the opposite of more is not less... it is enough.


It's time for you to grab the Small Spool and Wrench patterns in my payhip store.  I look forward to seeing your completed blocks when you come back to join the block parade.

These two blocks will complete Section III of the Quilt As You Go or asymmetrical layout.  You should use the same layout as Section I.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m

4 comments:

  1. We are just getting back from our trip, and I'm ready to get back to work! These blocks look fun and your questions are thought provoking. Thank you for all you do, hosting this QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother taught me to knit. I learned to sew in school. It’s was a gathered skirt, I’m sure there was at least 3 yards of fabric to be gathered, lol. I taught myself how to crochet and layer in life I caught the quilting bug. Took a lesson at the local high school. Made placemats for a long time friend and she still has them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I learned to knit, crochet and sew around the time I was 7-8 yrs old, my mom taught me and I am ever so grateful for that. Melva I am so sorry about your loss and your daughters loss, hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Melva, it brought back memories for me. I'll share more when I finally do my blocks, but let's just say I learned to sew in "Home Ec", now ridiculously named "family and consumer sciences" - blehhh! Your story of your business is quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete