Friday, March 1, 2024

Pieces of My Life ~ MLS 2024 Sew Along



It's March!  I've been talking about this sew along for a while now and I have been busily preparing patterns, blocks and other content behind scenes with a few sneak peeks along the way.  I am still working a few last things... like my quilts.  Yes, plural.  Because I like to offer choices... and complicate my life??? It'll all be good. 

My first thoughts were to make a quilt in blues and whites that reminded me of the old Wedgewood or Courier & Ives dishes.  When I see dishes like this I am transported in my mind to my childhood.

I wanted to use a Quilt-as-you-go method with this quilt.  I am still in process of joining my sections together but am pleased with the way it is looking so far.  


As I mentioned, I am making a second quilt as well... it will be in shades of purple, using only the sixteen 12" blocks in a traditional layout and traditionally quilted.  

An email announcement was sent out with a few more details to those that have purchased patterns from my Payhip store. I'm including a portion of that message below just in case you weren't on the list...

My new sew along event is following suit with my previous events names.  Pieces From the Past, Pieces of the Santa Fe Trail and Pieces in the Garden… and now, Pieces of My Life.  It is a sew along that will include sixteen 12” blocks and eight 6” blocks, making a finished quilt of approximately 69” x 73” using a non-traditional layout for a sampler quilt.  A traditional layout design will be offered that will include only the 12” blocks, finishing at approximately 60” square.

Patterns will be available at no cost for 1 month.  After that they will be available for purchase in my store for $3 each.  

In addition to the patterns, I will offer a series of pages with questions about your life, so that your finished quilt will have a very special memory book to accompany it.  This portion of the sew along will be available only via the newsletter.  While this portion of the sew along is not required to participate, I do encourage you to document your life for your children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews.  

I cannot express what it has meant to me to have the stories and memories from both my Mom and Dad and my maternal grandparents.  In a recent conversation with our daughters about churches we had been members of and why we made choices to attend a different church, I realized that even though they were present and affected by our choices, they didn’t know all of the details.  And if they didn’t remember some of those details, they probably wouldn’t remember details of other events… such as how we met, married and started our family… the significance of my wedding/engagement rings… who some of our closest childhood friends or teachers may have been… and so much more.

I could go on and on, but that is what the questions provided with each block are for.  Again, the document for the memory book will be available only via the newsletter, while the patterns will be available through a link here on the Melva Loves Scraps blog. If you would like to be on the newsletter list, send me an email at MelvaLovesScraps@NolanQualityCustoms.com with the word "newsletter" in the subject line.  I will make certain that you are added to the list.

The patterns will be published here every 2-3 weeks.  The frequency will vary depending on how involved the blocks are and how many questions/pages will accompany each block.  I think you will find that the blocks are easy and quick to make.  They are all traditionally pieced and very basic and have taken me less than an hour each, some only 15-20 minutes.... leaving me plenty of time to answer a few questions without concern about being over committed or feeling overwhelmed.  I know my time is valuable and I guard it closely, and I have that same respect for you. :)  

Fabric requirements:

20 Fat Quarters
1-1/2 yards for borders
1 yard for sashing strips
4 yards for backing
1/2 yard for binding

So, there you go... The first pattern will be released next Thursday, March 7th.  See you then! 

If I have missed a detail, or you have more questions, please leave a comment and I will make certain that I answer you.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:



8 comments:

  1. I'm interested in sewing along, Melva, and will sign up for your email newsletter. Will you also share how you did the QAYG method? I'm really interested to try that, since quilting a large quilt is not my favorite thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m interested

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited about the sew along, Melva. I look forward to not only the blocks but the stories that accompany it. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept you have created!! And what a pretty blue quilt - Those colors do remind me of wedgewood

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's not to love about a blue and white quilt done as QAL? Bet you you will have quite a following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am interested in the quilt along. Also, the newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have you participate. Because you made the comment as "anonymous", I don't have any email address to add to the newsletter list. Send me an email with Newsletter in the subject line and I'll get you added.

      Delete