Thursday, March 14, 2024

World-wide Quilting Day

Saturday, March 16th is World-wide Quilting day!  I'll am celebrating National Quilting Month all month with an exhibit of three story-telling quilts on the "Art Wall" at my local library, Trinidad Carnegie Public Library.


Below is the press release:

During the month of March, the Trinidad Public Library is excited to exhibit on its Art Wall quilts by local artist and author, Melva Nolan. Melva has titled her exhibit, “Three Storytelling Quilts.” Melva began her interest in quilting in 2001. During the next ten years she honed her quilting skills with the help of her grandmother, and by 2011 was designing and sewing her own quilts. In 2013 she began posting to her blog, MelvaLovesScraps. “I decided that using my blog while I worked on my quilts would be a great way to document and share the stories of my quilts and some of my thoughts and experiences of life.” This eventually led her to writing two books that documented two of her quilt designs and the stories behind them. Pieces from the past: a collection of letters from former prisoners of war, and Pieces from the Santa Fe Trail: The story of Marion Sloan Russell's journey on the Santa Fe Trail and her life told through a quilt, are both in the library’s catalog, and also available for sale from the author. I hope you can take in Melva's exhibit the next time you visit the library!     —Tom


At the beginning of March, I kicked off a new sew-along series with a new "story-telling quilt" ~Pieces of My Life.  Participants will be making 24 blocks that correspond to a series of pages with questions that, when completed, will tell their personal stories and memories and make up a lovely memory book to accompany the quilt.


Full details can be found on the Announcement story and the first block a big bow block, here.  If you are interested in the pages you must sign up for my newsletter by sending me an email with "Newsletter" in the subject line.

MelvaLovesScraps@NolanQualityCustoms.com

How are you planning to celebrate National Quilting Day?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your library quilt display! Your quilts look wonderful hung in the exhibit like that, Melva. I'll be celebrating National Quilting Day by working on finishing my Stay at Home Round Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely library exhibition. Story quilts and libraries - perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that is so awesome!!! Local Artist and Author - I LOVE it!!!! and the quilts are amazing. So proud to know you!! way to keep the love of quilting alive ;-)

    ReplyDelete