Sunday, March 10, 2024

Sew & Tell ~March 11, 2024

What's new with you??? The big news for me is that I have completely finished the first of two Pieces of My Life quilts. Have joined the sew along?  The first pattern is available by following the highlighted link.



With the blue quilt done, I was able to turn some attention to the fact that we are leaving for 2 weeks... 

The camper pantry needs to be restocked.  I've been busy in the kitchen mixing up my homemade seasonings and condiments.

Dave was gone for a few days to a men's conference so I spent time with my Mom to help her down-size... declutter... whatever it may be called... she has LOTS of "stuff".  Some of the stuff could be viewed as junk... some are treasures.  It just depends on who is considering its value and worth.  I have a large box of items that will be listed on ebay at prices guaranteed to sell.  But that and so many other things (like the purple Pieces/Life quilt) will wait until April and our return home.

I prefer to leave the house/studio nice and tidy... or appearing clean... so, I HAD to spend some time as I cleaned my studio and put a bunch of piles away.  They were everywhere and it was driving me NuTz!  Depending on which machine I needed, the piles were moved back and forth between my tables and a chair.  They were moved out of the studio and placed on the guest bed... I felt a lot better about my studio!  BUT... Since we had discussed having a house sitter, I needed to clear out the guest room.  Fabric and quilting items were put in the stash closet, and "stuff" (that big box I mentioned) got put "away"... 

I started by moving it to the basement, but that was a project all by itself.  I had an order of books arrive and I didn't want to leave them on the basement floor should a horrible thing like the water heater decide to leak... I placed them in the storage area inside a tote and then decided I needed to move the "stuff" to the garage.

Someone else may look at the situation and see chaos and a mess... I see organized chaos with plans for future on-line sales.


After a quick stop at a local thrift shop to drop off more "stuff" I didn't want to deal with, I was able to prepare some hand-sewing items for our trip.  Quilted hearts with trims, buttons, lace and more will be on the agenda... 

and of course, some more Camping Journal blocks.  If I grow tired of those, I'll pull out my paper embroidery book.  This is my latest... I have just a few more flowers to finish near the bottom of the page.  

I think it will be finished before we leave.



It is now time for this week's randomly selected feature... There were 22 participants this week.  I extend my many thanks for the support and participation of this weekly party. 😍 Frederique at Quilting Patchwork Applique shared a story of she and a group of quilters that made quilts for babies and the neonatal unit at a hospital.  Just look at the bright, cheery colors!  Each quilt is unique and special, and I have no doubt in my mind that the parents of the babies that receive one of these will feel the love that was poured into them.

Well, that's all I have for now.  I'll have a few scheduled posts for the time that we are away.  If we have service, I may pop in and share a few pics of our adventures.  

Be well and Keep Piecing!

But before you go..

Do you get concerned about having stuff cleaned and looking organized before you leave on a trip?  
Or are you not concerned about what you return home to?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Melva

Linking with:

m



14 comments:

  1. I always clean, vacuum and mop the floors before I go away. All laundry is also done and put away. I want to come home to a clean tidy house. I can't handle chaos! I hope you're able to find the time to complete all the sorting you need to do before you leave on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks amazing, Melva.I finished the 1st block last night. You are staying very busy. It is always a job to get ready for a trip ( I am doing the same. ) I like for the house to be straightened up before I leave, but if all does not get completed I do not fret about it. Have a wonderful week. I know you will stay busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Pieces of my life quilt is beautiful! Thank you Melva for featuring my baby quilts delivery story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is so beautiful. One thing I have never tried my hand at
    I visited you via Sew Can Do: Craftastic Monday Link Party
    My links: 101+102. We will be delighted if you share your blog post links with us at SSPS. Link under BLOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for popping in and for participating and sharing at SSPS 301. Hope to see you now each week going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also try to do extra around the house before we leave for a time. I want to come home to a clean place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These quilts are all so lovely! I always try to leave our house as neat and clean as I can so I can come home to a nice, clean house and not have to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, those quilts are totally amazing and so beautiful, bravo to you! I do love that blue one. Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful finish in blues! I'm a big declutterer myself--have made a LOT of trips to the local thrift shop to drop boxes of stuff so far this year. Love that you make your own mixes. I like to do this as well as it allows me to adjust to our tastes (and use real ingredients only). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely quilt in blue. I'm wondering how the purple quilt will look. Have fun on your trip! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/13/wednesday-wait-loss-371

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melva I always love reading your blog. We are off in the van also shortly - what are 'Journal Camping Blocks'? I've been making scrappy hearts also. I add a ric-rack braid to hang them up. What do you do with them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love the blue Pieces of my Life quilt!!! Sooo pretty! I haven't started mine yet, but I will... once canning season is over I hope to have more time in the sewing room... Thanks for joining in on Monday this and That and I hope you had a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue quilt is lovely, Melva. Looking forward to seeing the purple one! I have a lot to declutter. Thankfully our guild is having our biennial show this summer. Guess where it's going??!!! Have a great trip. Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Blue Sampler quilt is so soothing. Purple may be tricky. I always struggle with reddish purples and bluish purples - they may or may not play well with each other. We take out the trash and make sure there are no dirty dishes in the sink - that is the minimum before a trip. Everything else is extra.

    ReplyDelete