Sunday, February 25, 2024

Sew & Tell ~ February 26, 2024

What a week. Parts of it seemed to crawl by, but also in a strange way, sped by so fast!  I accomplished lots, so let's just get started.

My plan was to get as much quilting on two sections of my QAYG project before I needed to take the Jazz in for a spa day and pick up the Lyric.  I had thought "I just need to get the blocks quilted and I can join the sections together with the Lyric.  It was a solid plan.

I had invited a young quilter and her mom over to have a session of FMQ and plan for the quilting in each block of the sampler quilt.  I shared more details of the steps I used in the QAYG technique in my previous post, "Conquering New Worlds and Techniques". I am pleased with the final product and look forward to getting the other half done and join the two sections.  I'll use a QAYG method for the borders as well.

I was able to complete the "sampler block" quilting with no pressure after hearing that my repairman had fallen and was in the hospital. Little did I realize that my Jazz was in such serious need of cleaning when it started growling at me as I worked on our curtains for the camper!  


With Dave's help, we got the case open.  I was able to clean out the dust bunnies and nasty greasy clumps that were causing problems.  After a thorough cleaning, we lubed and oiled her up and she is good to go.  I'm sorry Mr. Boone... my Jazz doesn't need to visit to your spa. 

I was certain that I would lose the entire afternoon... when I was done only 1hour+ had passed.

I was happy... she was happy, my check book was happy... We celebrated with happy hour on Friday evening.  Haha.

I completed one set of curtains for the camper, and they are in place.  Shelby was excited to accompany us to the camper as we installed them.  What do you think?

We have begun the countdown for our trip to AZ... less than 3 weeks!  We don't have a firm date of departure, but after March 14th, we are free and clear of all meetings and appointments.  How soon we leave after that date depends upon how much we get packed and prepped before... we'll be watching the weather as well.

This week will look much the same (minus a trip to pick up a machine and the time to clean the other) as I finish the second set of curtains and quilt sections III and IV of Pieces of My Life.  March is just around the corner so I will also be writing the first story and finalizing the first pattern for the sew along.

I don't have a "logo" yet... Do I need one? 🤔  Have a suggestion or idea?  Leave a comment.


On to this week's Sew & Tell feature... Nancy at Grace & Peace Quilting shared a unique and special memory quilt made by her customer, Lynn.  Lynn's friend had clothing made for herself while living in Zimbabwe and asked if she would make a quilt from these garments. 

Lynn did a fabulous job making the top and Nancy did an equally fabulous job quilting it.  

Follow the link above to see some detail shots of various blocks, the quilting and the back. 😍

Time for the party to start...

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


12 comments:

  1. I love your curtains Melva, they are cheery and the winding flying geese are so cheerful. Good for you cleaning up Jazz. I had to do that with Ms. Necchi during covid, and it was a relief to get her happy, especially since Grandma Necchi was stuck at the spa waiting on parts. I know you are looking forward to your camping trip! I posted my finished bunny. Finished the cross stitching Friday, and decided I better just get it sewed up or it would be languishing in a drawer. Still considering a name for her, but it will have Rose in it somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good ending for Jazz ; so glad she is ready to get back to work. Hee! Hee! Your curtains look great , Melva. I know you are excited about your trip. I look forward to camping photos in the next few weeks as well as more mini quilts . Enjoy your week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to make the checkbook happy! I love the curtains you mde for the camper. Pieces of My Life is looking intriguing, too. Have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melva,
    I am not a quilter even though I sincerely wish that I had had the opportunity to learn...Thanks so much for visiting and for your wonderful suggestion on how I could use some pieces of my vintage doily collection!! I could do what you suggested by using some heavier table runners that I have...How did you attach them? Sewing them or maybe a fabric glue???? Did you post pics of what you did and if you did could you please send me a link so I could see what you did? Thanks again!! I hope you have a great weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got your jazz cleaned up yourself! Much better than a spa day away!! Love those blocks, they are so pretty! Thanks for joining in on Monday This and That and I hope you have a wonderful week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty curtains, it's a very appropriate pattern for a traveling camper ;)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think those curtains are just perfect for a quilter's camper! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those curtains! The idea of setting off on vacation to go camping in it sounds so inviting. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/28/wednesday-wait-loss-369

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seen your picture in the linky and knew that was a camper. I can't wait to be able to use our camper again, at least hoping it didn't get ruined in the deep freeze since it didn't get winterized :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melva, those curtains are really lovely. I'm glad that you got your machine cleaned out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute, cute curtain, Melva!!! And thank you for featuring Lynn's quilt! She was able to pick it up yesterday and was very excited to see it in person! It will be such a wonderful gift for her friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melva I looooove your curtains! Such fun! Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. Hope this week was marvellous and you made lots of progress on your list this week. 😉 Carol https://quiltschmilt.ca/

    ReplyDelete