Friday, December 22, 2023

Mini-Quilt #51/52 - Star of Wonder

We are just days away from the celebration of the birth of Jesus!  I remember that as a child, there was a magic about Christmas, and that magic centered on Santa and the gifts.  Traditions included having a tree with lights and homemade ornaments, gifts were often hand-made, and we had plenty of homemade cookies, candy and popcorn balls.


When our own children were little, I carried on the tradition of cookies and popcorn balls, the tree loaded with ornaments and lights and plenty of gifts beneath.  I would make ornaments to send/pass out with plates and platters full of goodies. I came to realize that Santa was fun for the kiddos, but as the years have passed, 
I have realized that I truly cherished the Church traditions of an Advent wreath and a Christmas Eve Service where Silent Night was sung as candles were lit, row by row and the glow in the Sanctuary grew brighter.


This year, we have scaled back on gifts, goodies and overbooked schedules.  I have enjoyed the month participating in the Star Toss Mystery Quilt with Melanie Meyer.  The wonky stars make this a whimsical and magical quilt.  

I was not able to keep up daily, but every few days I did get caught up.  It was an easy pace that I chose (she had multiple options and sizes).  Basically, one star a day.  This past week, since I had delivered the last of the customer quilts, I jumped in on the "simple throw", which included the stars and piecing of sections.  


As I completed the sections, I had some extra bits and pieces so I thought I would make a wonky star mini quilt... which I am calling "Star of Wonder".

It is a phrase in the Christmas song, We Three Kings... 

O star of wonder, star of night,
Star with royal beauty bright,
Westward leading, still proceeding,
Guide us to thy perfect Light.

I'll be adding a little hand quilting to it, but I just couldn't wait to share it!  🌟

Thanks for taking the time to stop by for a visit. :)  Before you go, though, I'm wondering...

What are some of your favorite traditions?

Leave a comment.  I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing... there's still a few days to get your project done. lol.

Melva

Linking with:

m

4 comments:

  1. Your blue scrappy background really makes those stars shine brightly! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all star quilts. Perhaps they remind me of Starry Starry Night by Van Gogh but they also feel timeless. How lucky you are to finish all customer work and then have time to play. The best days are when we get to just let our creativity take hold...no requirements, no rules. Not that quilts don't have guidelines, but to be able to pick our fabrics, textures and colors...that's awesome!! I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melva, Christmas traditions are great. As time goes by, we have stopped following some traditions, like the heavy réveillion meal on Christmas eve. We now have a great family breakfast and supper. It's hard when some of the children aren't there but I'm looking forward to their return. I hope that you have a great Christmas. Thanks for the linking party and for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Enjoy working on your Star of Wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt and am so impressed you did it in this season - I only saved the patterns! We celebrate on Christmas Eve - a favorite tradition - and being not local to the celebration - I am proud to say we only missed during Covid.

    ReplyDelete