Sunday, June 4, 2023

Fence Rail (almost) Finish for Sew & Tell


I came coasting in this weekend with the almost finish of my Mom's quilt!  It went so much faster than I anticipated... All that is left is to hand-stitch the binding Monday morning as we travel a few hours to honor the life of a sweet friend and support her husband in his time of grief.

The quilting of the Fence Rail quilt was quick and easy with sweeping waves over the seams and a few in the rails.  I changed threads for the quilting in the brown rails because the off-white just seemed too harsh.  I'll get a full shot of the quilt when I get home. 


I have the next top sandwiched and ready for quilting. And it looks like I just might get it done before the grands come for VBS.  YAY!

There was a bit of confusion about the date... Their Momma thought it was the week after they got done with school.  I thought the same, but I thought they had another week.  Ooops!  We had an unexpected, but pleasant afternoon with them. 💙💓💝💗

Our youngest is so cool!

I have a few activities planned for the afternoons (next week) while they are here.  I will help them each make an elastic waisted skirt, a visit to the library will be on the schedule, and we may make some friendship bracelets.  I want to leave a couple of the afternoons open for them to play with the neighbor's grands as well.  

What sort of things would you suggest to help pass the time and keep them from being in front of the tv?  

Emma is 9 and Maggie is 7.  Leave a comment... I'd love to hear your ideas.

The featured quilter from last week's Sew & Tell session is Nancy at Grace & Peace Quilting.  Though randomly selected, this one captured my attention with her DrEAMI, must make National Parks Quilt.  Her topographical quilting is over the top!  

Your turn!  What do you have to show in Sew & Tell?  The link up will be open until Friday evening.

Keep piecing!

Melva

Linking with:

Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Musings at Songbird Designs
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
To Do Tuesday at Quilt Schmilt
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter

m

11 comments:

  1. Great job finishing your rail fence, Melva! I look forward to the full length photo. As for your GDs, read books, go to the park, go for a walk, make pillowcases. Thank you for featuring my national parks quilt, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing as we would with the grands. The only extra thing is, we like to take them to Braum's, a regional ice cream place. Our 7 and 4 year old like to pull "favorites" from the scrap bins too! I helped them make a little doll-sized quilt for each of them a few months ago. Grandma was exhausted when they left - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had grandchildren here last week. One day we roasted hotdogs in the pit, also made s'mores. Another day I took them swimming. I had checked the weather forecast and we went the hottest day of the week, that was a big success. Also, stop for ice cream on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we love to do easy puzzles together I get them at goodwill and we can talk and learn at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you were on a roll!! that is a great finish -and binding on the road sounds great! Have fun with the kiddo - my suggestion - Rootbeer floats every night so they are sugared up for their parents haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely think cooking is a fun activity...and we always loved playing games. I often would find some special crafts, but I am sure they need a few doll or stuffy quilts. I would have my son and his classmates use the foot pedal with their hands for the sewing machine. They loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love hand binding! My condolences on the loss of your dear friend. Hugs.
    With my four grandbabies, we play board games, write with chalk on the patio, play with the water hose, garden, make simple art projects, and bake. Here is my pinterest board I used for those days when they were young. https://www.pinterest.com/miaismine22/activities-arts-and-crafts-for-kids/ Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how fast that rail fence came together! Just the binding left, and you'll get that done soon. So sorry to hear about your friend--hugs for you and your husband. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/07/wednesday-wait-loss-331

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melva, it'll be great having the grandchildren there. I remember with great fondness the weeks spent with my grandmother. We went for long walks each day, often with the neighbourhood kids, and picked blueberries or raspberries - what ever was out! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations on getting your Mom's quilt done. What fun to have the grands this week. Hope you have lots of fun. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday and for hosting Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your time with your grands, that time is precious! Ours are older than yours, but they like games and eating! LOL Love the rail fence. Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete