Sunday, May 28, 2023

So Much to Sew & Tell!

The "work" week was a short one for me... but I managed to get a bunch done.  I'll get right to that.



I got the fence rail blocks joined to complete the top... It is huge!  Too big, I think.  I will need to take it to my Mom's house to see how it fits on her bed. I need the backing, which is in the mail, before I can move forward.  According to tracking info, it should arrive on Tuesday.


I finished the memory bears!  What a big project to be done with.  The teddy bears had their picnic as I watched a few episodes of Heartland, and went away from the binging session stuffed!  They are now complete with cute little button eyes and noses... ready to remind the various recipients of the love that Lucy offered to others throughout her life.



I played around some with our Camping Journal quilt and have a final plan of layout for the remainder of the quilt.  Planning the blocks, prepping the kits and actually stitching them up is nearly as fun as making the various memories that each block represents.  That little picnic table with the playful dots floating around will forever remind us of the time in Crystal Beach when we lost a few dominos down a hole in a small table on the deck.


I spent time petting the fabric that I received in a recent fabric swap hosted through the Fiona Sandwich Postcard group.  It is always a fun thing to participate in.  I spent a fair amount of time as imagined the different ways that I could use the variety of fabrics.  

It was fun all the way from the selection of the fabrics to share with others to receiving the swap package with a wide variety of fabrics in all sorts of colors.  This time Rachel encouraged participants to include how the giver of the fabrics would use them.  


And finally, I created a 3-dimensional block for this week's mini-quilt challenge ~ #22/52.  I found a tutorial for making the 3-D pinwheel.  And since it is Memorial Day weekend in the United States, I chose red/blue fabrics and quilted in a few stars in the background. ☆ It could make a fun, stimulating baby quilt... Hmmmm, something to keep in mind!


This week's Sew & Tell feature is Gail at Quilting Gail. She shared her recent finishes - including 
her Studio 180 Island Batik challenge, Baby Stars and a really cute Retreat Bag.  Well done, Gail! 

What is your favorite part of quilting?  
Is it the planning and fabric selection?  
The cutting?  The piecing? The quilting? 
Maybe it is the binding?  Or, perhaps, it is the admiring and loving of the quilt when it is all done?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing!

Melva

Linking with:

Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Musings at Songbird Designs
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do 

To Do Tuesday at Quilt Schmilt
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter

m

9 comments:

  1. I think I enjoy piecing the most, but selecting fabric is also a fun part. I love that pinwheel block you found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually like the cutting because I am excited about what is about to happen. Then, I like the piecing because it seems like a little miracle every seam. I am not thrilled with finishing until it is all the way done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom's quilt is lovely! Wow you have a LOT more camping blocks than I realized. What fun to plan those and have such sweet memories for each one. I enjoy planning and piecing, quilting and binding. Not a huge fan of cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the piecing and quilting best...but then again, I do enjoy the entire process of making a quilt! I love the quilt for your mom. Those bears are so sweet. I know they will hold wonderful memories for the recipients. Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bears are so darn cute. Nice job. Your camping journal quilt is coming along well. It is going to be a great memory quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Rail Fence flimsy is really pretty! It is a good size for several people to cuddle under on those wintery nights while watching TV. 😊
    What a sweet major project to have finished! The bears are precious!
    Your camping memory quilt is also a fun one! What an unusual journal! Love that pinwheel mini quilt. Nice feature projects as well!
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how your Camping Journal is coming together! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/05/31/wednesday-wait-loss-330

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melva, it sounds like you had a very productive week. That 3D pinwheel block is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun filled post Melva; your rail fence quilt, those sweet bears and your incredible camping journal quilt coming together. Thank you for sharing, for hosting Sew and Tell and for linking with To Do Tuesday. 😉

    ReplyDelete