Monday, February 28, 2022

Orphans Found a Forever Home

“I will not leave you orphaned. I’m coming back. In just a little while the world will no longer see me, but you’re going to see me because I am alive and you’re about to come alive. ~ John 14:18-19


The month of February has zipped by in the blink of an eye and spring is just around the corner!  We have dealt with an abundance of challenges that we either worked our way through or around, overcame and conquered or decided to ignore because it just didn't matter.

As we get ready to turn another page of the calendar, I am happy (and a bit surprised, if I'm honest) to share the flimsy quilt top of Orphans No More (it includes a few additional orphans from a fellow quilter).  shown below :)

These additional blocks were picked apart or cut down to be used on the sides and top...















Here are a few close-up shots. As I dug through my scrap bin for the pineapple blocks, I found more orphans!  Again, just what this top needed. 







The top measures 60" x 82" and it is ready to be sandwiched and quilted.  As I mentioned earlier this month, my 
plan for the quilting is a hanging star grid with lines 4" apart, machine quilted and then big-stitch hand quilting with variegated thread in between, making the quilting lines 2" apart.  The hand quilting part will be a road-trip activity for me when we head to the Gulf Coast in March. 

Rebecca Grace had asked if I just made it up as I went along... Why, yes!  That is exactly what I did.  A bit of improv and creativity to get it all to work out, but fun and rewarding to see it ready for quilting.



As I celebrate the finish of this top, I celebrate with our friends living in Romania as the adoption of a little girl they have raised since birth, was finalized just last week.  

Tim & Caroline have been working with orphanages in their area for years.  They had been told by doctors that they would likely never be able to have children of their own.  Anna came to live with them as soon as she was released from the hospital.  And, surprise, surprise... not long after receiving Anna, they learned that she was expecting a child!  The adoption process for Anna has taken over 6 years.  But, at long last sweet little Anna is finally, officially a Bailey!  💗 I will forever associate this quilt with Tim, Caroline and Anna.

If you would like to learn more of their story you can follow the highlighted link above and sign up to get newsletters and updates.

We know several families that have adopted children and they often celebrate "Gotcha Day"... the day that the adoption was finalized... much like the celebration of a birthday.  

Though each family has special traditions to celebrate a birthday... 
What sort of Birthday traditions are in your family?  
How would you celebrate "Gotcha" day?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Piece in love,

Melva

Linking with:  

One Month Goal at Elm Street Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
This & That at Days Filled with Joy
To Do Tuesday at Texas Quilt Gal



6 comments:

  1. More orphans just when you needed them! Love the adoption connection, celebrating with Tim and Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orphans look beautiful together! I even see some embroidered blocks? Love it! What a sweet story to go with this post. We have seen it happen so many times that when a couple adopts, they get pregnant!
    Thank you for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous finish, Melva! I love how you gave each little orphan a home and a special place in this quilt. Enjoy the road trip and the hand quilting project! Birthday traditions - we always had a Danish layer cake growing up. Our local bakeries are all Danish so it was almost expected! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and her family celebrate their birthdays all month long. That way if you can't get there on THE date, you can still have a celebration when you can. Go out for cake one day, bbq another, and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've used up a lot of orphan blocks and they look so pretty! Thanks for linking up with Monday This and That. I hope your week went well.. mine just disappeared which is why I am so late in commenting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your orphan block quilt is a triumph! I love the way no colour is 'wrong' in a scrappy quilt and that works for the No Longer an Orphan quilt too.
    Thanks for sharing the story of little Anna and her adoptive parents. Great to read some good news!

    ReplyDelete