Sunday, October 8, 2023

Gina's Journey and Sew & Tell Party~ 10/9/23

What a week I had!  Not a lot happened in the quilting studio, but there was a lot, a lot, a lot that happened outside of the studio. Appointments that had to do with Mom's future move, got scheduled for nearly every day of the week.  Everything went smoothly and the wheels have been placed in motion with so much.  But I won't bore you with those details.  


Between appointments I prepped the blocks for a custom t-shirt quilt and go them on the design wall.  I was in contact with my customer regarding the choice of fabric for the sashing strips when she asked me if she could add one more shirt. 

{Gina's collection goes back to the 1980s.  I was amazed at the difference in the quality of the shirts as well as how many were made in the USA then vs present day shirts.}

"Of course!" was my answer.  She had caught me at just the right time.  I had the outer columns of blocks joined together and was assessing the center column.  I'll trim down two of the blocks and squeeze in the last one...


I quickly set it aside with excitement since I had my plans for a Houndstooth mini quilt, #40/52, in the mini-quilt challenge that I jumped into back in January.

I had the mini together and ready to hand quilt it when I realized there was a major problem with one row.  

"Jackie" and I had a little time to finish the latest season of Virgin River on Netflix.

Alas, I have the mini complete and ready for teatime. 

By the time the weekend arrived, and all of the appointments completed, Gina's "extra" shirt arrived.  I'll have a flimsy ready to quilt right around the corner!  The border, backing and binding fabrics are all on hand so there is nothing holding me back.


So... who is the randomly selected feature? It is Andrée at Quilting & Learning. Her process of making a t-shirt quilt is very much the same as mine.  She shared several tips about what she learned in the making of this quilt. Follow the link above to see what she shared.

It is now time to open up this week's party... 

What do YOU have to share?

No pictures?  That's okay... leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Keep Piecing... and have fun while doing it!

Melva
🥳Pssst... Jump over to here to learn about a Special Surprise of news that I received.

Linking with:

m


12 comments:

  1. I finished a pajama set last week! DD gave me a length of flannel that has a pink and navy plaid printed on the bias. I thought it was kind of ugly, but decided to use some for a bed jacket. While cutting it I was wishing I had some navy blue flannel so I didn’t have to worry about matching the plaid, and recalled I had remnants left over from my MOTB dress. One thing led to another, and I ended up with a bed jacket with satin color blocking and navy lace edged sleeves, flannel shorts and a cami with lots of lace on the satin front with a flannel back. I actually love it now! I guess it just proves that no fabric is truly ugly, just like people! Today I hope to finish a duffle for one of my students. He did his recital in September and I wasn’t able to start it until last week.

    Have a wonderful week Melva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to have the week in the past and lots of important appointments done with. The Tshirt quilt is looking really good and the hounds tooth mini adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that you are working on a tee shirt quilt. I am too. (Or at least I'm thinking about it and the shirts have been backed...) I'm going to hop over to the site you featured and see what she says. Although, this isn't my first rodeo so to speak. I'm hoping it is my last one...at least until the grands ask for tee shirt quilts. (It's not my favorite thing to do.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope things are going smoothly for your mom's move, and that she is on board with all of it. That was the issue we ran into with my mom's move - she never really saw her needs like we saw them. And apparently, three years later, she's still questioning it! (This is from my brother - she doesn't say this to me!) Your latest t-shirt quilt looks like it is coming together nicely. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melva, thanks so much for featuring my t-shirt quilt. I'm happy to say that I don't have to have it quilted until mid December. It was that or quilting it in a week, which is just not going to happen! I love your houndstooth mini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your Mom's future move is going smoothly. Andree's T-shirt quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish now I would have thought of taking my daughter's t-shirts and making them into a memory quilt. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of several of my own shirts I wish I had, but some things are just meant to be memories in our minds.

      Delete
  8. That T-shirt quilt is so cute! And you know I love the houndstooth mini!! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings! I actually had something to link up today when I finally found this post! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice you could fit in that last tshirt for her. Love your houndstooth quilt! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/11/wednesday-wait-loss-349

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melva, I just read the link about your surprise. Congrats! That is so cool! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the houndstooth mini. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete