Sunday, July 9, 2023

Sew & Tell ~ July 10, 2023


Sadly, there is not much going on in my studio.  This week's mini quilt is another one that I actually stitched on our trip to Illinois.  It came from the collection of crazy quilt style blocks from my customer that had the fancy ribbon & lace quilt.

There is a section of road across Nebraska that was a little rougher than normal.  So, rather than try to piece one of the camping journal blocks, I pulled out this piece... something that didn't need careful and precise stitching.



Mini-quilt challenge 28/52...

Using the open space on this crazy-quilt orphan I allowed all of the big stiches and gradual spacing of the lines to create texture. 

The play of the light and shadows add to the dimension of the piece. 

This mini seems right at home next to a tree, with its natural patterns of the bark, in the forest preserve where we enjoyed the trails while on vacation.


I am slow-stitching a woven piece from an assortment of narrow scraps from my friend, Pat, for my next mini.  Here's a little sneak peek...

On Friday, since I didn't have any finishes to share, I decided to try something new.  A quilt blogger's version of "Ask Me Anything."

As I explained... "I've seen a few people on Instagram do a "ask me anything" videos... Usually when they are on a long road trip or just to pass time as they wait (for whatever it is they are waiting on).  It's always fun and interesting to see what questions are asked as well as the answers.

Here are some of the questions I've had so far...

~ My question is about your travels. Is visiting quilt shops part of your travel itinerary? What is your favourite place that you have visited on your travels?

~ I am still fascinated by your living in the mountains (not too far from my dream state of New Mexico, right?) and would like to know if you enjoy looking at mountains every day as much as I think I would. Or do they just fade into the background?
Also, who does most of the cooking around your house? My husband recently acquired an outdoor griddle and has been looking at recipes like I used to! I am very tempted to let him take over the cooking - lol!

~ Camping!! i have always wondered "where" you camp. i.e. forest service, nat parks, state parks, private? Do you make reservations ahead of time, or just go? What are your favorites (I promise not to show up!!)

~ This is a fun one.... What was your worst quilting disaster?

And I had one over on fb...

~ I'm a beginner but would love to learn. First step?

Here's my answer... sign up for a class if possible. If that is not possible, start with a smaller project, like a baby quilt or table runner. One that uses pre-cut fabrics such as a jelly roll strips or layer cake squares would be my recommendation. Also, check your seam allowance on some practice fabric for 1/4 inch.

All great questions... well except for the one that inquired about my worst quilting disaster... Well, actually it was a great question, just not all that fun to recall.  But, we are called to be humble.  And admitting our shortcomings and failures helps with that.  So... thanks for asking Kathleen.  Sincerely, thanks for asking.


Last weeks Sew & Tell party had 18 entries.  A fabulous turnout!  Linda, the Texas Quilt Gal was randomly selected as this week's featured quilter.  How serendipitous since her share was about finishing her Pieces of the Santa Fe Trail Quilt.  The sew along that I hosted in 2021. 💕

It looks marvelous Linda!  Thanks for joining the party.

That's all I have for now... If you have any burning questions for my "Ask Me Anything" episode, feel free to leave a comment.  And, don't forget to join this week's party.  The more, the merrier. 😁

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Musings at Songbird Designs
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
To Do Tuesday at Quilt Schmilt
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter

m

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the shout out! I am so pleased with the way it turned out and can't wait for Danny to have it. I like your latest mini, especially the big stitching.
    I do have one more question. If you could live anywhere other than your town, where would it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were possible to pick up our house and shop and move it close to Canon City, CO, we would. The weather there is very similar to our area and we have many friends that live there. We have looked around but haven't found anything that "checks all of the boxes".

      Delete
  2. Another adorable mini quilt, Melva. Such interesting and fun questions that were asked too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this mini, Melva! Thanks so much for linking it up with Monday Musings. You had some interesting questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute mini and as you say, perfect for stitching when the roads are rough. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/12/wednesday-wait-loss-336

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melva, I went back and read your answers. So cool and interesting. I really like your new mini. I hope that you'll link up to the party - it's been pretty quiet here lol!

    ReplyDelete