Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Mini Quilt #30/52 ~ Summer Fun Kawandi

With the dog-days of summer upon us, people across the northern hemisphere are seeking relief from the high temperatures.

What exactly are the dog days of summer?  The “Dog Days” of summer last from July 3 to August 11. In ancient Greece and Rome, the Dog Days were believed to be a time of drought, bad luck, and unrest, when dogs and men alike would be driven mad by the extreme heat! Today, the phrase doesn’t conjure up such bad imagery. Instead, the Dog Days are associated purely with the time of summer’s peak temperatures and humidity.


This week's mini quilt challenge found me pulling a small assortment of teals to give Kawandi quilting a try. After reading skimming a few articles that were the result of an on-line search, I learned that Kawandi quilting has a specific technique where you start the quilt at one corner of the sari; then, the fabric patches are worked towards the center with running or back stitches in a spiral manner.  New patches are laid on top as needed, with edges turned under.  (I skipped the turned edges part.)

Kawandi quilting is a traditional craft in western India, brought to that region via African slaves. 

Using fusible batting for this little project was ideal since the fabric didn't require pinning to hold it in place...  That is until I reached the center.



I finished the mini with the backing folded over (raw edge again) and stitched down.


The colors and texture, especially the back of it) remind me of a swimming pool and takes me back to my childhood of spending days at the pool.  I would have morning swim lessons and then I'd be there again in the afternoons with friends as we splashed and played, keeping cool during the dog days of summer.

Those thoughts of the pool bring back vivid memories that involve all of my senses.  The cool temperature of water and the warmth of the sun and concrete as we giggled during the rest periods that took place every hour for 10 minutes.  The texture of wrinkly fingertips from being in the water for such a long period of time.  The smell of chlorine mixed with the smell of dill pickles that came from the pickle plant that was located across the highway. Weird, I know... but I am not alone in recalling that odd scent.  If you grew up in LaJunta, CO, you just know... LOL!  The look of the bronze Coppertone tanned skin of the lifeguards and the sun-bleached hair of the fair-haired people that spent hours at the pool.  And I cannot skip over the taste of a twist cone from Reid's Drive-in or a float from the A&W Root Beer stand that was across the street from the pool to hold me over until dinner time.  So many memories!

What are some of your favorite summer-time memories?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Monday Musings at Songbird Designs
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning
Thankful Thursday at Brian's Home
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Little Things Thursday at Good Random Fun


m

16 comments:

  1. Melva your Kawandi is beautiful! I like the "raw-edge" look, and the stitching looks amazing. I like your placement on the fabric pieces too. I could see and smell those memories of your swimming times. Hubs and I were reminiscing yesterday about summer times of our youth, and his involved working at a park cleaning up and operating rides. When I think of summer of childhood and youth, I immediately think of the noise of the cicadas. That was a summer sound for sure. We are amazed that we don't remember being so affected by the heat as we are now. We've been spoiled by AC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also recall the early morning sounds of insects (my dad called them locusts) indicating that it was going to be a hot day. As well as the turtle doves cooing as I awakened in my bedroom. 😊

      Thanks for the memory trigger! Yes, we are now spoiled…

      Delete
  2. I love the raw edge as an option for kawandi. I haven't tried it yet, maybe someday. I can remember all the smells and feels of the pool - many years I spent nearly entire summers there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Kawandi piece was really fun. I’ll give some thought to a larger piece when I get my Camping Journal Quilt finished... maybe a table topper. :)

      Delete
  3. That is so beautiful, your choice of blues is so darn pretty! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate the chance to share my pieces with so many people through linky parties like yours.

      Delete
  4. Hi Melva, what a great mini. I love the texture of all that stitching! We spent our summer holidays at our cottage, playing in the lake and swamp. Those are cherished memories. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Kawandi piece was really fun. I think I’ll give some thought to a larger piece when I get my Camping Journal Quilt finished.

      Delete
  5. Neat idea to try for this mini. It does look like ripples in a pool! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/26/wednesday-wait-loss-338

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Kawandi piece was really fun. I think I’ll give some thought to a larger piece when I get my Camping Journal Quilt finished.

      Delete
  6. So beautiful and a great idea to use that scrap pieces filling up the drawers.
    I visited you via Little Things Thursday!
    I have linked up this week with = 19+20.
    If you have not joined us at SSPS yet, this is a personal invite to come and share your awesome post/s with us
    You will find the linkup information (1) In the Top bar under Blogging: Weekly Senior Salon Pit Stop OR 2nd image In the sidebar.
    We hope to meet you there virtually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invitation, but I need to pass this week.

      Delete
  7. Melva, I love this little mini! It's a great way to learn Kawandi quilting. I've been wanting to try this and maybe I will this fall as I sit in carline for the grands! I love that you left it raw edge too! No fussing with turned edges is a great idea, especially for me! This has great texture and does look like ripples in a pool. My summers were mostly spent in the fields or helping my mother, aunt and grandmother can/freeze what we grew in the fields! I did usually get to go to FL with my aunt and uncle. They had no children so it was a special time for us at the beach and pool. Those were great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your memories. What a special time with your Aunt & Uncle.❤ What sort of produce came from your fields?

      I recall my mom spending many hours in the kitchen canning and freezing produce. One of my fondest memories was when my Aunt Clara taught my Mom how to can peaches.

      Years later, my parents were visiting us in IL in Aug and my dad spent hours canning peaches for me as my mom and I entertained the girls.

      Delete
  8. Very interesting....definitely different!

    ReplyDelete