Friday, July 7, 2023

Episode One of "Ask Me Anything"

I've seen a few people on Instagram do a "ask me anything" videos... Usually when they are on a long road trip or just to pass time as they wait (for whatever it is they are waiting on).  It's always fun and interesting to see what questions are asked as well as the answers.

I am in between projects waiting for supplies to arrive...  And I have all of the "kits" prepped for the latest blocks to be added to our Camping Journal Quilts... I thought I would try something new and (hopefully) fun.  

So, here I am with a quilt blogger's version of "Ask Me Anything".  Blogger version because I am not brave enough, nor tech savvy enough to try it on insta. 

Your questions can be quilting related or just life in general... 


Need tips? Ask away!  Questions about quilting techniques, pattern designing/writing or fabric/color selection... welcome.  Questions about camping and hiking?  Questions about tools, notions or supplies?  Also fair game...  Questions about our family?  Yep, those too.  

Basically, ask me anything by leaving a comment.   If I feel that your question falls into the realm of "too personal" or that the answer might fall into a TMI category, the comment will not be "published" or answered...  

I'll be working on some slow stitching on my next mini-quilt... here's a sneak peek 👀

Ready? GO.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy’s Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch

M


12 comments:

  1. My question is about your travels. Is visiting quilt shops part of your travel itinerary? What is your favourite place that you have visited on your travels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to visit small quilt shops in our travels, but Dave will not plan a trip around a quilt shop tour, nor will he go out of the way to get to one. If we happen upon one, however, he is more than fair about how much time I get to shop. ;)

      Each and every trip is unique and fun, but I think our first trip to Galveston ranks up there as one of my favorites. I was in the middle of the Pieces from the Past Sew Along when we did that trip. My grandparents arrived in the US via Galveston and that made it especially poignant for me to walk around the town and envision what it might have been like for them.

      Delete
  2. I am still fascinated by your living in the mountains (not too far from my dream state of New Mexico, right?) and would like to know if you enjoy looking at mountains every day as much as I think I would. Or do they just fade into the background?
    Also, who does most of the cooking around your house? My husband recently acquired an outdoor griddle and has been looking at recipes like I used to! I am very tempted to let him take over the cooking - lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the view of the mountains! Though, I probably don't truly appreciate them as much as I could. I do find that each and every day, because of lighting, clouds or amount of snow or snowmelt, the view is a little different. And pictures never really do it justice.

      I do the cooking. On occasion, Dave will grill whatever it may be, but I prep it all. When it was suggested I change my diet, I told him that I will not be cooking two separate meals, one for him, one for me... he was patient and we have found our best and favorite options. Mostly, he is a gentle critic when I am trying something new.

      Delete
  3. camping!! i have always wondered "where" you camp. ie forest service, nat parks, state parks, private? do you make reservations ahead of time, or just go? what are your favorites (i promise not to show up!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually select locations that are within a few hours of us. The more remote, the better. National forests, state parks or private are our preference. National parks like the Sand Dunes tend to be too touristy for our liking. We prefer first come, first serve, but so many places, even the National Forest areas require reservations. We have become more accustomed to on-line reservations just before we leave home since it can be a challenge when reservations are required and there is no cell service or ranger or host on-site.

      Our favorites are in Red River, NM and Westcliffe, CO and the beach near Galveston.

      Delete
  4. This is a fun one.... What was your worst quilting disaster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the custom Baby's First Year quilt that my customer hated. She had envisioned a quilt with outfits appliqued onto the top, like an actual dress, pair of pants or t-shirt. I had asked if she saw and understood what sort of memory quilts I made and she had responded with yes... but in the end she had no idea that I actually take the clothing pieces and cut them into squares and then sew them all together. In the end, when she had the quilt in hand, she said it wasn't as bad as she thought.

      Thanks for drudging up THAT memory. Ugh... ;)

      Delete
  5. Hmmm - Alright!! Hiking!! Where is your favorite place to hike? and how do you prepare for the hikes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trails in the Nat'l Forest near Westcliffe are my favorites. Part of the Rainbow Trail is one of the most popular. Keep in mind, that we are not hardcore hikers... day hikers only. We prepare by wearing proper footwear and plenty of water, (I have a pack with a 2L water bladder and I pack several bottles for Dave). We always have plenty of snacks and sometimes take a sack lunch. We have started taking an extra water for the dog, as well as her collapsible bowl.

      Delete
  6. Do you have any more history projects in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at this time, Allison. But I am always open to suggestions 😊

      Delete