Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Basket Weave Mini Quilt

This week's mini quilt challenge, #28/52, utilizes leftover, narrow scraps from my friend, Pat. 


Leaving the raw edges, they are woven together (reflecting the fabric on the back of it) and quilted into place.  



I then added a small touch of embroidery to enhance each square.

Summer temps finally arrived last week and the AC window units have been installed.  I dislike the constant sound of them and additional fans to move the the cooler air around.  But, on the other hand, I am not melting into a puddle of mush and feeling unmotivated to work in the studio.

I am very motivated... so motivated that I refuse to wait for the delivery of the interfacing that tracking info indicates will be delivered by the 21st.  That is still days away... 

That said, I am making it a goal to have a sandwiched quilt ready to go under the needle by Friday when the interfacing is due to arrive. 

I guess that shows a bit of my impatience... I think I have grown in the patience area over the years.  Maybe it is just that our children grew up and flew the nest so my patience isn't tested at the level that it used to be.  LOL!  Or, maybe it is true that I have become more tolerant and patient.  

I have heard many times, "never pray for patience... you'll be given plenty of opportunities to practice it!"




Patience was required as we awaited the results of the reverse tie-dying activity at our family camp weekend.  

Turns out we didn't have chlorine bleach... we had a splash guard clorox that had no chlorine.  So sad... we will try again in a few weeks when we get together for a special craft day with the grands.

There were card games and clue games that took place, a water fight, coloring, scavenger hunts, archery and pellet gun shooting... walks, fort building, food prep and eating, snacks, s'mores and doughboys, fire building lessons and campfires as we enjoyed the sunsets.  Memories made for all four generations of Nolan Family Camp weekend. 


Is patience something that comes naturally to you?  

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you about how you handle situations that require patience. 

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

To Do Tuesday at Quilt Schmilt
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese 
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning
Little Things Thursday at Good Random Fun
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy’s Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch

m

10 comments:

  1. Family camp weekend sounds like a lovely tradition! Love that sweet little basket weave mini, especially the embroidery touches. I'll have to remember that. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/17/wednesday-wait-loss-337

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling mini quilt, Melva. Family camp sounded fun. Having patience and rolling with the dice is always good when crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice projects and family time.Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that mini!! I did a full screen on your video, and wow, I loved the music with the cadence and all the photos - well done. Did I see a black dog sleeping in a chair? Of course I enjoyed the views of the mountains and the skies, and the ending was so cute with your Little holding out the flower. You have a beautiful family! What was being eaten in the cone-like thingy?
    As I age, I find that I have more patience/tolerance for some things and less for others, so it probably is about the same as it always was - lol! I thought I would have more patience with our grands than I did with our kids, but no, I still don't like whining or the inevitable "I don't like that" when it comes to food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog sleeping in the chair is our chocolate lab. She loves to be around the campfire with everyone… and yes, because she is spoiled, she gets her own chair. LOL!

      The cone thing was a doughboy. You wrap biscuit dough around a large stick and cook it slowly over the coals of a fire. You can fill with just about anything you want. The kids had pudding in theirs. We have used jelly, scrambled eggs, sausage gravy, hotdogs… I think Pizza toppings as well.

      We had a creative, “chopped” left-over session on Sunday using any and all left-overs from the previous 3 days. Points awarded for the most creativity. The winner was using egg-white wraps filled with allergen friendly marshmallows, chocolate chips, nuts and graham bites. 😊

      I completely understand your intolerance of whining from the grands. I had the same thoughts as you. 😉 Great minds think alike!

      Delete
  5. Hi Melva, that sounds like such a great camping trip. Your woven and embroidered mini is lovely :-) Sometimes patience comes easily but when I'm stressed, not so much. I'm easily distracted, so waiting for supplies for a project doesn't slow me down - I just start one or two new ones (lol)! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks and for the linky. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family camp sounds fabulous! So sorry to hear the reverse tie-dye had issues, but hopefully it can be resolved during craft weekend. It has heated up here, and of course most of my current projects revolve around wool! 😂
    I have two pairs of socks on the needles, a sweater, and am just getting ready to cut a wool cargo skirt for MIWW. I am hoping the hot doesn’t sap all my energy, and I can still keep moving forward. I do have two projects without wool; they may get much more attention this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience is not something I have ever possessed... and my kids call me on it all the time haha! Sounds like a lovely family camp!!! and your mini - i really like it! its very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had a wonderful family time! As I'm a teacher, I guess patience is a required skill :))I found myself being even more patient as time goes by.
    Thank you for sharing your happy times, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete