Friday, April 21, 2023

An Angel and Her Wings

I received some shocking news the other day... 


A HS classmate that has always been friendly, positive and encouraging had taken her own life.  When I relayed my news with Dave he said, "oh yeah, Danita... she was the one we met at the Rockies game a few years ago, right?  She lived life large...  What a shame."

It is a terrible shame.  Never had there ever been any indication that she was struggling with depression, anxiety or mental health issues.  The news of a cancer diagnosis was apparently just too much for her to handle... On Tuesday, she had put up a bunch of wonderful pictures... she said, "some of the peeps and the pups in my life that I love."  

In hindsight, apparently, this was a love message to all those that she would leave behind the very next day.  😭 So many classmates have all shared the same shock and heartbreak.  


Being who I am and knowing that the way I process emotions, I needed to spend some time in my sewing room... you know a therapy session. I needed to make something to honor Danita and a mini quilt came to mind ~ #16/52

Using her picture above, the last picture she used as her fb profile picture, I did an interpretation of it.

I stitched in her name, the date of her passing and "class of '83" at the top. This year marks the 40th anniversary for the Class of '83 graduation.  

I will be including this mini in a sympathy card for the family...Fly away home, Danita. 🕊 My thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones as we all grieve. 💔 

On a happier note... You may recall me writing about my friend Pat who gave me a large portion of her fabric stash.  She was facing treatment for breast cancer.  She had one chemo infusion and then got terribly ill.  She had two separate one week stays in the hospital because of dehydration as well as other issues.  The doctors re-evaluated her treatment and decided that surgery was the best option... once she was healthy enough.

Just this week (one week post-surgery) she received the news that there was no evidence of residual cancer!  All margins were clear, and she had experienced a one-treatment miracle healing.  I was dancing a happy dance for and with her. 💃 For those of you that joined in with my prayers for Pat... Thank you!

Life is precious... hold your loved ones close and tell them how special they are to you. 

Keep piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy’s Quilts

m

11 comments:

  1. How heartbreaking , Melva I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. Her family will cherish the lovely mini quilt ; it is made with love. Such wonderful news for Pat; wishing her all of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sorry for your loss, Melva. And for her family. It's such a difficult way to lose someone in your life. 💔 That's such a beautiful painting (or is it computer generated?) of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her loss makes me sad, for you and the people that she touched. The angel mini quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending hugs and good thoughts during this difficult time, so sorry for your loss. That is such a sweet thing for you to send in the sympathy card, I am sure it will touch their hearts. But wonderful news for your friend Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely little angel, making a beautiful card for the family. I'm sorry for your loss of your friend.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely card you made for her family, and how tragic a loss. So happy about the cancer-free diagnosis for Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news and bad news there, life is so difficult sometime. Sending you warm thoughts and tears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card you made, so sorry to hear about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m so sorry to hear about your classmate, Danita! Prayers for all of you and her loved ones.
    Oh Melva! Your angel block is lovely…and I’m sure your heart was blessed by the stitching.
    Blessings of rejoicing for your friend, Pat! I’m so glad her treatment eventually went well! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heartbreaking news and a miracle. I am so sorry for your loss, but your tribute is so lovely. I love that you will use your memory quilt as part of your sympathy note. What a gift of life your friend with BC has received. Blessings on those who mourn and those who rejoice.

    ReplyDelete