Friday, April 14, 2023

Friday Finish Less Than Perfect

As a "recovering perfectionist" this statement is a difficult one for me to state... But sometimes I just have to.


The latest finish of #7/8 of the quilt tops for my customer is one that I am less than pleased with.  The slippery, shifty fabric was a challenge.  And the fact that it was larger than the other one that was made with the same type of fabrics made it even more difficult.

The borders were wonky and it made the pieced corners downright impossible to get the same.  **Insert frustrated and disappointed emojis** Amongst other emotions and thoughts that ran through my mind.


I kept reminding myself yesterday as I finished the binding that the quilter was slowly loser her vision and that her family will still love and appreciate the finished quilt.

As I write this, I have the quilt getting washed and dried.  BUT before I did that I went and positioned the four corners together to show how badly they were... 

Not as bad as I remembered, and despite the few wrinkles that are there, the corners will not be all together when laid out on a bed or back of the couch.  

I have no choice but to live with it... rather, let the family live with it... chances are, unless I point them out, they will probably not be noticed.  Afterall, there are no other quilters in the family.  If there were, I would not be the one finishing these quilts.  The quilt is not going before judges or being juried for a quilt show.  They only want a piece of their Mom/Grandmother's tangible love to hold onto.

The cross-hatch quilting really shows on this quilt.  You'll notice that I decided against feathers in the outer borders.  

The label features one of the smocked hearts that was in the collection of miscellaneous items.  I felt that it was a good thing to include. 💜  All in all, I am pleased as I look at it from a distance.  Remember Eleanor Burns says that if you can't spot the mistake while riding by on a fast-moving horse, it doesn't exist... right?

As I said, I am a recovering perfectionist YET I have come so far in my striving for it.  Not that I don't continue reaching for it, but I don't fret over it or beat myself up over it.  One of the most helpful things I have done to help with this is to continually try new techniques and activities to build my skills.

Smaller projects are a great avenue to overcome the perfectionistic trait.  Small, quick quilts such as table runners and baby quilts are not only fun, but usually very forgiving... much like the mini-quilts and quilted hearts that I have been making. These projects help me to perfect hand-quilting, embroidery and such.

I have saved several bargello quilt patterns over the years and have a real interest in making one... but time has not allowed me to do so.  I have had a small pile of scraps collecting on the corner of my cutting table and plan to make this week's mini-quilt (#15/52) using a bargello technique.  Come back on Monday to see what I have created.

Are you a perfectionist?  
Or have you adopted the "finished is better than perfect" motto?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing!

Melva

Linking with:

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Scrap Happy Saturday at Super Scrappy
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch
m




15 comments:

  1. I definitely think finish is better than perfect. Although I would love for them to be perfect, none of my quilts are. So it only makes sense to finish them for the purpose that I made them for. I'm getting to the age where I need to move things out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is only so much you can do with a poorly pieced quilt. What you achieved is the "perfect" quilt to snuggle under and recall the love that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, Gwyned. :) Thank you for the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure the family will be very pleased Melva. If they aren't quilters they won't notice at all, but will treasure what you have done and remember her with love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I strive to do better with each item, no mine are not perfect, but done is good:) Have a good weekend and breathe a sigh of relief-you only have one more to do for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand the perfectionist tendency. I had to overcome it as well. This quilt is lovely. The family will not notice. The cross hatching has made it wonderfully crinkly. They are going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol on "recovering perfectionist" - I am getting better at acceptance of less-than-perfect in my "enhanced" age. How poignant is that quilt by the quilter losing her vision. Makes me tear up reading about it. Your quilting is really, really nice. It is precious, even with the imperfections that we can't help but notice. My Mom always said "well it can't be seen from a galloping horse". Remembering her say it is one of my best memories. It was usually about a cake she had baked for someone - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a lovely finish and the family will love it which is all that really counts! Good choice on the quilting because it covers some of the unevenness. I'm a recovering perfectionist. I had a teacher who always said. . .Finished is better than perfect!--TerryK@Ongoingprojects

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did great with this quilt, and the cross-hatching desin on the border is a pretty idea. It's going to be a loved quilt, and that's what matters.
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every since our last SAL with you, I am more open to trying new techniques, hence today’s table runner in my post! Thank you for that lesson!
    I love that term: recovering perfectionist! I often wonder if my LAQ gets frustrated with my less than perfect quilts (hence the wonkiness in today’s Bee Humble). She is to kind to say anything negative. I tip her very well. 😊
    I had a request to finish quilting a neighbor’s mother’s quilt. Same situation, losing vision and skill set. I picked out her quilting and requilted it – a challenge for my limited quilting skills. I was pleasantly surprised how grateful they were. All they cared about was having the finished quilt mand like you mentioned, they didn’t notice any imperfections. They were just grateful to have a “piece of their Mom’s/Grandmother’s tangible love to hold onto”, as you so eloquently wrote. That is far more precious than perfection.
    Praise God for your patience and your heart of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like my quilts to be just so, but FINISHED really IS better than PERFECT, Melva. Congrats on your finish!!! The family will cherish this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations on the finish,looks great! I luv "finished is better than perfect" I'm working on a flannel woolish type blend & no matter what setting I use it wants to gather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Good luck with your quilt. You should join the Sew & Tell party to share with everyone!

      Delete
  12. it looks so pretty in the sunlight - the quilting is beautiful on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Melva. Sometimes I cringe at my own thoughts about a not-perfect quilt. Since I hate the quilt police, I really don't want to be one either. The quilt is lovely and will be cherished - that's all that's important. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete