Thursday, October 13, 2022

Pieces in the Garden ~ Wrench ~ Block #10

 
 “Bride’s Quilt”
Once upon a time, there was a little girl, who wore a bow in her hair. When she grew up, she began a friendship with a young bachelor. As the hours and days passed, they began to look at each other with stars in their eyes, and as their love grew, they thought about taking steps to the altar. So, the young girl got out her spools of thread and made clothes to get ready for their wedding ring day.

After they are married, some of their times together will be bright as noon and others will be dark as night.  But they will try to share their happiness, their miseries and their chores – she grabbing a wrench to help with household repairs and he grabbing a towel to help with the dishes.  Sometimes they will have broken dishes, but they will try to remember that “things” can be replaced, whereas harsh words, possibly spoken about the broken dishes, could chip away love.  They will try to follow the Golden Rule as they are learning to communicate openly with each other.

They will also try to keep in mind the symbolism of Jacob’s ladder – “steps of communication” between themselves on earth and God in heaven.
*********************

Won't you get yourself a cup of tea and enjoy as we learn about Forrest & Tressie starting their family?


When did you start a family?  How many children did you have?  What are their full names?  When and where were they born?

We started our family in 1937. Forrest Ralph was born in 1937 and Carol Ann was born in 1940.  

I don't remember much about Forrie being born.  They gave me ether and I was out.  Little Forrie wasn't getting enough to eat and he was very small until Margaret Duling, a trained nurse, told us to give milk from a bottle.  He did much better after that.


Tell me about when you had my parent... what were they like as a baby, child, teenager?

I had ether with Carol too, but I remember a little more.  Carol liked to eat, but she threw up everything.


They were typical children.  They fought and picked on each other.  Carol rode her tricycle, walked on stilts, jumped rope and played guns. (Carol, Forrie and Joan {a cousin} shown here being "typical children".) 

I remember that as a child I was impressed when I learned that my Mom knew how to jump rope, play jacks and helped me learn how to twirl a baton, play hopscotch and more.  I also recall that my brother and I were "typical children" and fought and picked on each other as older children.  When we were young, I remember that we would play together (as did Carol & Forrie playing "guns" but we called it playing "cowboys & Indians")... until I became an annoying little sister getting in his way or insisting that he play dolls or house with me.  

If you had any siblings, how was your relationship with them?  
Were you close and like best friends?  
Or more "typical"?

What sort of activities and games were some of your favorites as a child?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear about your memories. :)

This row of blocks ~ the Wrench ~ is representative of the wrenches and challenges that come with life and relationships.  Working together to overcome them with a compromise by all involved, by the way, will bring about the most successful relationships... You will need make 16 blocks to complete the row.  Now is the time to grab the free pattern over on Payhip and make your blocks.  

You may want to go check out Cornerstone Tea Company too!  Use WRENCH as the discount code and get 10% off your order.  Valid through November 9th.

Don't forget to return here for the block parade and a chance to be entered for the Cornerstone Tea Company prize package!  Link up opportunity will be open through November 9th.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

Put Your Foot Down at True Blue Quilts
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Free-Motion Mavericks at Quilting & Learning
m


4 comments:

  1. My two younger sisters and I played together with all the neighborhood children. We lived in a "new" subdivision and there were lots of us! The kids across the street had a playhouse in their backyard and we spent a lot of time there. We also played games outdoors- tag, mother may I, etc. We had to come in "when the streetlights came on".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The three of us played together a lot during childhood, often it was pioneers with a blanket over the big chair in the corner serving as the wagon! A favorite memory was watching the Olympic in a car my mom made out of a large cardboard box for us. Winters in Minnesota were long, dark and cold during that time, and being sickly, I rarely left the house, so Mom did some amazing things in our living room when we were pre-K to 2nd grade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother was 3 years younger than me. We lived in the country, so we were each other's playmates. While we sometimes clashed when we were teenagers, we are close not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one younger brother. We get along well, but we have different interests. The wrench blocks are so fun! Thanks for joining the Put Your Foot Down linky party!

    ReplyDelete