Monday, April 25, 2022

Spring Snow Monday

After 3-1/2 weeks of nothing but dry days, high winds and extreme fire danger, we woke this morning to this...


We have about 8 inches of the white gold and it may continue for a bit longer.  Woohoo!

The smoke on Friday afternoon was horrible.  There were fires in New Mexico and the winds from the south blew it in, making us think that MUST be a fire somewhere in our area... Much to our relief, we realized it was just smoke from the south.

Last week, despite the crazy wind that was making me a little grumpy, I was quite successful with ticking things off of my To-Do list.  Let's take a look...


❧ Finish custom t-shirt quilt 

I had it done, labeled, washed and dried and photographed by Thursday... You can view more photos on my Custom Friday Finish story.


Ooooooh!  Look at that!  I only had one thing on the list...meaning I had the entire weekend open up for more play with the postcard blocks for our Camping Journal Quilt. 



I made up kits for the remaining 4 EPP blocks and made two of them (the cardinal and the fish) as I started watching the Call the Midwife series again.  


I pieced the clamshell block and added the locations and dates on the sign blocks...

It won't be long until I am ready to add these 2+ rows to the rest of the quilt top.  

I think I am getting close to having it to a size long enough to meet my husband's request.  He wants it wider than it currently is, so I'll need to add a narrow border and then more blocks... which means more camping trips!


I also made a practice block for my next quilt.  This is the "Our Country" block from the Pieces From The Past sew along series.  I needed to resize it from the 15-3/4" block to a 12" block.  

It will set alternatively with the Dragon Fly Block.

❧ I'll make the Dragon Fly with a three-color layout.  I need to make a practice of this block as well, and layout to make sure there is enough of a contrast in the values of the blue & purple fabrics I have purchased.  (not the ones in the practice block, but these are close)


❧ Once I verify that all is okay with the values of the fabric, I'll start cutting and piecing.  Since there are only six blocks of each, I should be able to get the top ready for borders.  Getting borders on and getting it quilted and finished will be my May One Month Goal.

I think that will keep me busy and out of trouble for the week.

Last week I celebrated my birthday with the giveaway of an insulated mug... The winner is... Cindy K. Smith.  🎉 Congratulations!

You know where you can find me... In my studio. 😁 You can take a quick tour of my space by selecting the Studio Tour tab above.

Do you have a designated sewing space?

Stay happy and keep piecing!

Melva

Linking with:

Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
To Do Tuesday at Texas Quilt Gal
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch


9 comments:

  1. I am so happy you got some moisture...even if it was frozen. I do have a space in our basement where I sew. It is nice to be able to leave out projects I am working on. I just share it with our exercise equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melva. I love how that quilt is going to look. It will be so beautiful. I don't think I have seen the "Our Country" block before, but it looks really well with the other one.
    Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. Last week, I couldn't get Bloglovin to come in for a whole week so I missed a lot of post. I hope you had a fantastic day.
    Yes, I do have a designated sewing space. When my daughter got married, I took her room. My son built me a big closet to keep my fabric in and I bought cabinets and a bookcase to hold other things. I LOVE it. The room isn't as big as I would like for it to be, but I'm not complaining. I use my kitchen table to cut my fabric. That is one thing I miss in there, but this works just fine.
    Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unable to sign in to comment, not sure why, so it is posting as Anonymous. Thank you again for the cup. I can’t wait to receive!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness on the snow! Nice finish on your custom quilt, and I know you're enjoying working on your Camping Journal Quilt. I loved the tour of your studio! Thank you for sharing with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That snow is crazy, but I'm glad you don't have any fires. I love the cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday!! I am glad you don't have a fire bearing down on you. But this weather is crazy. We have had lots of wind and a little rain. Yeah for meeting a goal and having spare time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Belated Happy Birthday! Spring is crazy everywhere this year. I am hoping we have seen the last of the white stuff. You are always sew accomplished. Thanks for sharing in my linky party ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to see you got snow! Meanwhile, you've gotten so much done! Love that camping journal quilt and am so happy you need to make more blocks because I love each one. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That snow is crazy. Beautiful but crazy!

    ReplyDelete