Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Veterans Day - Remembrance Day

Rudolf Kasulke   



As I prepare another pattern and letter release for the Pieces From The Past Sew Along I cannot help but remember the former German Prisoners of War that worked at my Grandparent's farm in Model, CO.  How the men that happened to be associated with an army known for doing atrocious acts and exhibited poor humane treatment to so many citizens viewed to be "lesser" than others.







Gotthart Hauswald
So many of the men only wanted to live a good life and treat others with kindness - the same kind of treatment and hospitality that they received while at the Schleich farm.  That was evidenced by the numerous letters stating that they recalled their good memories of the time at the farm to sustain them in their current deplorable conditions that they returned to post WWII.  Details of those conditions can be seen by clicking the link above.


I know that the "holiday" was created to commemorate the ending of the Great War, now know and referred to WWI... 


I recalled that while Phillip never served in the US Military, he did complete the Draft Registration Card on September 12, 1918 at the age of 20 years.


If you recall, he and Katherine did not even become Naturalized US Citizens until December 1942 and June 1943... yet his commitment and allegiance to the United States was evident decades before by this act.  Of this, I am quite proud.







My Dad and Uncle Leroy both served in the 1950s...  




Veterans of all branches and eras, I honor you with this short video that touched me when I saw it for the first time more than 10 years ago...

Thank you for your service.


God Bless,

Melva






2 comments: