Monday, November 9, 2020

All A "To-do" Over What To Do

 The past week has been tumultuous for a deeply divided America... I know many people that enjoy the "adult coloring books" and many of my friends would think that I, as a quilter and quasi-artist, would enjoy them as well.  Truth be told... they sTrEsS me OUT!  and this is exactly what I would have done to a page this week had I been given one...


And just this morning I sent this to a friend... 


I retreated to my studio for some "therapy" on Friday to applique our business logo onto a quilt and again Saturday afternoon to begin quilting it.  I was tense and frustrated AND the wind had been blowing and gusting.  I just could not seem to get into a nice rhythm... My mind kept focusing on other things.  The stippling looked fine, but I was experiencing thread breaks far too often.  I did make some decent progress, despite feeling like I still had acres of area to finish... a brisk walk probably would have helped... but... did I mention that the high winds kept me from that?  *sigh*

I called it a day and shut down for the day to join my husband for an early happy hour.  It was Saturday after all. 🍺🍷

Sunday after lunch we did go for a walk... the wind speeds had reduced some and it was a pleasurable journey.  Upon my return I made my way back to the studio and resumed stippling the remaining vacant acres of area.  I was much more relaxed and calm and I didn't have a single thread break!  

I finished the circle area of stippling and decided to stitch in free-motion feathers on the outer edge of the circle.

I marveled at the fact that there was such a difference in the two quilting sessions.  Have you ever noticed such a difference yourself?

Do you have any tips or tricks to remedy such tension problems?

I will continue the stippling on the remaining 1/2 acre of area.  but I need to cautious about sitting for extended periods of time... too long of a session and my left hip screams obnoxiously at me.  

Speaking of obnoxious screaming...  I recently asked one of the EPP groups for tips and suggestions about what to do.  "I have been experiencing pain in my left hand, specifically my index finger joint and radiating up to my wrist.  Any suggestions to alleviate the pain?  Other than giving up the hand sewing?"

I have had a few suggestions such as a compression glove and stretching.  A few years ago I came across a link for stretching exercises for sewers and I was recently sent this one on hand health.

Do you suffer as well?  Do you have tips and suggestions on relieving the hand or hip discomfort that I experience?  

I am open to suggestions and will certainly be consulting our youngest daughter who is a Physical Therapist Assistant the next time I see her.

❧ I'll be wrapping up this special project this week...

Other items on the agenda will include...

❧ Releasing the next Pieces From The Past block - #15 - a super simple pattern that is a very traditional and a family recipe that ties into the letter from former Prisoner of War, Erich Vogel. 

❧  Starting a baby quilt for a special young lady we have known for about 20 years.  

Piece Out,

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along
that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!
Linking with:

Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Patchwork & Quilts at The Quilting Patch
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter

5 comments:

  1. After the week we've had, I definitely would prefer goating! Unfortunately, I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I just want this to be over!! I'm sorry you're having difficulties Melva. My knees are really bad (bone on bone) and I have Uncle Arthur in other joints as well. One thing that helps me is CBD cream applied to my knees at night. That's the only way I can sleep. You might try icing your hip for 20 minutes at a time when it's hurting. I have some compression gloves that help when my hands are hurting, but I don't do a lot of hand stitching and definitely no EPP! I hope you have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any suggestions for anything, but I'm with you on all this! It's a good time to be the cat instead of the cat owner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your goat meme. But it left off "fall over in a dead faint." Weird to see goats do that on occasion. As for the stress during quilting -- try getting up and walking around the house every 45 minutes of quilting, play calm music in the background, consciously relax your shoulders while working. Hands, ugh. My problem is playing games on my cell phone/tablet and generally doing too much on them. I have a hard time quitting surfing. And, of course, I get nice relief when I do. Not the best suggestions but that's all I have. Have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago I made a hot pack out of a hand towel. I folded it across the width and sewed 3 channels in it then partially filled them with white rice, and sewed the open end closed. I have enough in there that I can heat it for 5 minutes in the microwave and then it is HOT. Sometimes I wrap another towel around it, then give my sore hand a good warming. Wrapped in another towel or a quilt, the heat lasts quite a while. It is also good on my knee, hip and shoulder when they are bothering me. Our kitty's warmth is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have wrist pain yet but I know I probably will as I use my hands so much to craft. Thanks for sharing! Your logo quilt is coming along nicely. Love those feathers. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete