Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Check-in of Tuesday's Two

 Has it really been only a week since I last posted???  It flew by!  Yet there was so much that went on...

My To-Do List consisted of...

❧ Piecing the top for the third memory quilt in a month. 

❧ Write the last Kansas City Star quilt block pattern.

Did I meet those two goals?  I can answer with a resounding "Yes!"


Though there were plenty of distractions along the way, I completed both tasks just yesterday... well, last night.  For me to continue working of "quilty" projects into the evening is unusual, but the daunting task of that last block pattern was staring me in the face since I put it out there for the world to read.  I still need to proof-read and send off to the testers, I can confidently say "It is DONE!".  

As I considered why I had been putting it off I realized that while the Pieces From The Past Sew Along continues into March of next year, writing that final pattern drove home the reality that it is 2/3 complete. 

It is like reading a good book for many... when the final pages of a book are read and the back cover closed and set aside, there is a brief time of mourning.  I know this is the case for me, anyway.  Missing the characters of the book I usually have to pause for a day or so before picking up a new book with a new story-line and characters.  But now is not the time for that pause...

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my ever-increasing audience, the various participants of the sew along and pattern testers as the series has progressed.  You have all become special friends to me!  And I am not ready for it to be over.  So, with resolve, I will continue to pour my heart into the writing of the stories and history featured in the series and savor each moment along the way.


The t-shirt quilt offered a good distraction from the pattern writing as well.  I participated in the Saturday Sew-In over at The Inquiring Quilter and was happy to share that I had the top pieced and ready for borders by the end of Saturday.

So, the pattern writing and the pieced top were completed between Saturday and Monday... what happened to the days prior to Saturday???

We ran away!  We ran to the mountains and the San Isabel National Forest.  




Our view was spectacular!  The same view as when we were there in May, but in the full glory of fall colors.  The golden glow of the aspens was nearly blinding when in the center of a grove.  The reds of the scrub oak or oak brush was stunning.

Last year we had hiked the road toward the top of the mountain, but gave up before reaching the top.  Dave was insistent that we could make it to the top... I was game for a long day's hike with a packed lunch.  He preferred the idea of making the journey in the truck using 4-wheel drive.  

I was unsure and bit of a nervous wreck inside, but simply stated "if you really think we can make it safely, ok." **gulp** 😖  


We did indeed make it to the end of the road.  There was not a big open meadow as he had suspected.  Instead, the road just ended.  There was a small campfire ring made of stones that had been used sometime in the past.  We contemplated setting up camp and making the journey down in the morning... Dave decided it was better to make our way down after enjoying the view and our lunch.


We began the journey down the hill and the screaming in my head was deafening.  Dave was carefully and slowly maneuvering our way back down the trail and I was shocked to realize the journey UP was less scary than the going DOWN.  **whimper**  We were through the worst of the hairpin turns and rocks when suddenly there was a strange sound... a rock had punctured the side wall of the right rear tire and losing air fast.

Dave calmly climbed out of the truck and began the process of changing the tire with even thinking about it or grumbling.  Which is a good thing because there was plenty of grumbling and whining going on in my own mind for the two of us. (I can laugh now, but it was not funny at the time.)

When we returned to our campsite it was only about 3:30 but I needed a small glass of wine to help me loosen up and relax. I grabbed one of my Camping Journal postcard blocks and within a few minutes I felt better.  Dave had commented "well, that was fun!"  I just looked at him and he was like "wasn't it?"  I replied with "it was an adventure.  I'm not sure I would call it fun!"  I kept stitching... 



Here are the two blocks I finished... the palm tree is representing our visit to Pelican Island while in Galveston, TX earlier this year, and the Canyonland is for one of our nights at Mills Canyon in April.

The time for camping season is drawing to a close, but we are hopeful that we will be able to head south (maybe to Palo Duro near Amarillo, TX) for a few days before the camper comes off the truck for the winter... Oh, but wait... Dave and his buddy may be headed out for a deer season at the end of October.  Hmmmmm.... maybe we can sneak another trip to the south in November. I can be hopeful anyway.  I suppose the season has to end sometime.  **sigh**

Time to head to my studio and get something done.  What will it be?

❧ Ten postcards for the second postcard swap hosted by my friend, Mark Montano.  These cards will feature some quilted fabric scraps with words of affirmation and quotes from Anne of Green Gables.  The cards have to be in Mark's possession by November 1.

❧  I'll be writing again... the next letter and pattern for the sew along will be published October 22.

❧  If the red flannel backing for the t-shirt quilt arrives, I'll be quilting that as well.

There you go folks!  You were the precise motivation I needed to meet my goals.  By my simply putting it out there for the world to see gave me focus.  Thanks for holding me accountable!

What are YOU working on this week?  

Leave a comment... I love to hear from you.

Piece Happy!

Melva


Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along
that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!

Linking with:

Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melva! I can still be in denial as March, 2021 is a LONG way away. Right?! I will be sad to see this SAL end. You picked the perfect pace - one that is easy to keep up and oh so interesting. I will have our Rolling Stone block complete before the weekend, I believe. If I get into the sewing room, that is. Good job on your list and I sure enjoy seeing your photos. Gosh, I would have been riding with my eyes closed coming down that steep grade. EEK! Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your pictures/postcards. Not so much your trip on the "road"!! I have thoroughly enjoyed Pieces from the Past and am now a regular reader of your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so jealous you have a camper! With the threat of tire-changing, I couldn't go up the mountain like that, but there are plenty of others I could travel in Arizona and Utah and New Mexico, and even Colorado! It's on my list of possibilities in another couple of years. I miss life on the road! Thanks for sharing your great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for reaching your goals! Your camping trip reminds me of when hubby and I used to go out... and I'd be doing some screaming in my head too with parts of the driving!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your post today... can relate to the mild mourning and the passenger fear/discrepancies in attitude to certain activities, and I love how you kept calm and stitched on. Thanks for the smiles, I hope it's one of those stories that just gets better as time passes. Thanks for linking to Colour & Inspiration Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete