Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Not Much Quilting Going On...

I haven't had much time quilting lately... Oh, I have been busy with quilt-related projects, but not much time at my machine since I finished the Scrap Dance Minuet, 2019 Color Challenge and A Time For All Seasons quilts.


What HAVE I been doing???  A lot of pattern writing for the Pieces From The Past Sew Along.  Because the patterns are vintage Kansas City Star patterns that offer only templates for the blocks, not cutting sizes or assembly directions, ( sometimes they allow for the seam allowance, but often times, not) I have been making the patterns more modern by offering cutting dimensions and assembly instructions.  It is my effort to make the piecing of the blocks an easy and enjoyable experience for everyone participating in the sew along.  I have about 10 of them ready to go and could use some help testing them and proof-reading them.  Interested?  Leave a comment and be sure to let me know how to contact you via e-mail.

By the way... the first block - The Signature Block - is still available and the second is scheduled to be released on Thursday - February 13th. 

There is nothing more frustrating than having a block that doesn't come together right, or end up the correct size.  One of the biggest challenges I had was figuring out if the template printed in the paper actually measured 2-3/4" or should it be 2-5/8".  Some of the pieces really are unusual sizes.

One other thing I could use some help with is translating a church record of some sort.  I believe it is in Russian and am curious about what it says.  Again, if you are willing to help me out, leave a comment and way to contact you.

Moving on.... Last weekend I was supposed to be away for a "girls weekend"... it was to begin late Friday afternoon... but it snowed overnight on Thursday and continued in the morning... and the roads were a MeSs!  


I had planned on taking my scrapbooking supplies and pictures to work on getting caught up by completing 2016 and 2017.  When the announcement of the delay arrived I decided that I would start scrapping then... 

In just 3+ hours I had six months of memories assembled in a storybook fashion.  Yay!  Progress...

The next morning the announcement arrived that the weekend hostess would be ready for guests at the cabin by 10:30 a.m.  I loaded up my bags and eyed the mess of scrapping supplies spread out on the cutting table in my studio... Ummm... no that is not going to happen!

I grabbed my "go bag" of hand sewing projects that I had started for our upcoming road trip.  It consists of the National Parks Postcard blocks designed by Rachel Lee at Fiona Sandwich.  

As seven of us that braved the sloppy road conditions and threatening weather forecast for more snow on Sunday enjoyed conversation, wine, laughter, snacks and meals for just 24+ hours I stitched...


I completed the blocks needed for the first section of our Camping Journal Quilt - 2017.  It was the beginning of our love relationship with a truck camper.  

We were actually only borrowing the camper from a neighbor to decide if we wanted to purchase it from them.  We spent a few days at a KOA Kampground in Ouray, CO, headed to the Mesa Verde area and then to Pagosa Springs.

I had several of the blocks already done and just needed to fill in a few blanks...

A Teepee, squash blossom, some colorful mountains with a grey sky and a campfire.



I can now assemble the first row!  I also have 16 other blocks in kits and another 8 that are ready to be prepared for the kits.  I love the versatility of these blocks as they can be used for various National Parks, as well as State Parks and camping in general.  

So, as you have seen, there has been some quilting related stuff going on, but I just don't have much to show for it.  As I stated... the Signature block is still available AND you have a few days to link up for the give away drawing of the first fat quarter.  Go grab your pattern and head to your sewing machine.  It is a really easy (and quick block) that you can have done in about an hour.  Tag me in your photo on instagram and use the hashtag #PiecesFromThePast, share to my facebook page or email it to me - MelvaLovesScraps@NolanQualityCustoms.com if you aren't sure how to get linked up and I will take care of it.  


What have you been up to?  
Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Quilt happy!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Pieces From The Past Sew Along
that features vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!


Linking with:

Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter


8 comments:

  1. don't you just love the Ouray CO area and Mesa Verde - we have camped at both places - lovely things you are working on

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you managed to salvage part of the weekend. Your camping blocks look really small!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sew along is an amazing project! I love the whole concept. You've got great stuff happening, even if it isn't all photogenic yet. It's not an uncommon problem among quilt bloggers, I think.... :) Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a lot of sewing work to me!
    How excited I would be if we could afford to buy a camper...it's a dream that will come true eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melva! I didn't realize you needed help . . . I will be glad to help you!!! I cannot translate Russian other than HET (which sounds like nit). Sue and I have off on Monday so we can test away both Sunday and Monday. Send along whatever you need us to do! I am sorry I didn't get a chance to read this until now - I save the best stuff for when I'm home so I can concentrate on it. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne P.S. All day I was thinking it was Thursday, the 13th - second block release day. Only to find out it's Wednesday . . . darn it. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your trip sounds wonderful. I miss living in our 5th wheel full time. I keep thinking I will get something smaller that I can handle on my own, and a camper is a possibility ... something that would probably work better for me than a Class B or C, or a small trailer. Best of luck with your pattern testing. I am so tempted to say, "Sure, I'll help!" but I'm not getting anything done since my son broke his leg and had surgery, so I'm resisting. If there's another round in a few weeks where you need help, please write to me and check if I can do it then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sew along seems so perfect for you, the story teller! As usual I really enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're working at your own pace right now, no need to fret about getting more done. Take your time and enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete