Friday, September 21, 2018

It's A "Wild" Life :: He's So Foxy

Carole over at Just Let Me Quilt has created another super cute block for the It's A Wild Life Block of the Month...


Again, it is so cute foxy, I hardly minded the applique!



At the beginning of the summer Dave and I headed just a mere 80 miles to our north to Pueblo Lake State Park for a few days.  We enjoyed some time with our kiddos since they all live in Pueblo.  How convenient for them... and fun for us!


Image may contain: outdoor, text and nature




On our last morning at the park we followed a paved path that winds its way from near the camp ground and visitor's center to the Arkansas River.  It actually goes all the way into downtown Pueblo... (we want to enjoy the trail again soon, now that the hot summer temps are going away soon.)  





As we rode our bikes and enjoyed the view and the quiet Dave noticed some activity not far from the fish hatchery.  We both stopped and watched a Momma fox with two kits romp and play.  


Image may contain: outdoor
Shortly after our return home my photographer friend, Cindy,  shared some great shots she captured of a family of foxes that were in her backyard.

  
Be sure to show her some love over on instagram...


Image may contain: grass, outdoor, text and nature

And one final one...  This one just makes me laugh!

Image may contain: outdoor




Now you may have noticed that I wandered from the original pattern (I simply cannot follow a pattern.  I mean, maybe if my life was dependent upon it, but even then... )  I just HAD to sneak in some piecing... Using another orphan log cabin block from my Farmland quilt, I created the grass (similar to what I did in the Lunchtime block in July.

I then paper pieced my tree and then basically "filled in" the sky area.  I used a short cut on the flowers by using some sunflowers from my stash.


I was told by a little birdie that the October block likely includes applique... I am not surprised!  I am over it.  The whining and complaining that is.  I will find a way around or through it.  

Watching wildlife can be quite entertaining.  We have been lucky enough to have turkey, deer, elk, bear and mountain lions in our yard - most without any damage or harm.  (The mountain lion was trapped and removed...)  I once saw a bobcat cross our yard!

My husband used to do lots of hunting... I know not everyone is a fan, but bear with me - he is a wise and moral hunter, though he doesn't hunt much anymore.  

He favorite was bow season for deer.  In the early hours of the morning he would watch deer come into the area.  He liked it best when does would come in with their fawns.  He would never draw to shoot in such a case, rather, he would drop acorns, twigs or leaves from the stand and watch them.  He had many stories of the young deer looking around (but never up) to see where they were coming from... and he would never startle them in such situations, but chose to wait for them to quietly leave the area before exiting his stand. 

Last fall we had five to six deer in our yard that would frequently cause both of us to pause our work and watch them as they wandered in our yard. 


What is your favorite wildlife creature to watch?

I'd love to hear from you!  Leave a comment below to let me know...  

Piece Peacefully...

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:
It's A Wild Life BOM at Sew Incredibly Crazy
BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River

5 comments:

  1. Melva, your block is absolutely darling. I really love it and you did a wonderful job.
    I love watching the animals too. We have deer,(love these most) turkey, foxes, a wolf,bobcats, and wild hogs. We also have a black panther (?) or lynx come by every once in a while---not sure what it is. We have ducks, geese and a blue heron down by the lake. You can also hear strange animals at night that sound scary. I don't think I want to know what they are. LOL Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute block and I would piece as much as possible over applique too!! We also have deer, coyotes, badgers and the occasional cougar and moose traveling through or feeding near our house - the deer just think the lawn in there for them to enjoy! Hubby hunts deer, but out west, blinds aren't used so he has to stalk the deer on foot. He does use a quad to haul them home. We are lucky as he can do so on our farm. I'd rather have a deer in our freezer then killed on the road in front of the house (one year there were 5 accidents within 1/4 mile of our house with cars hitting the deer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure do love what you do with these blocks. :) Favorite wildlife to watch - hmmm, I can't choose! We are fortunate to live on the edge of development in a woodsy area, so we get herds of deer in our yard ocassionally, as well as rabbits, raccoons, and the normal tons of squirrels and birds. I love listening to the coyotes when they sing at night. They come on our property, too, but I've only ever seen their tracks, not them. I also love listening to the Great Horned owls talk to each other in the night, and their juvenile screeching at dusk and before dawn. Again, I've never found where their nest is, but I love knowing they're around and hearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block is really neat and the creative touches you have added are perfect! Beautiful photos of the fox family and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your block is looking pretty foxy!! I love all the pic's of the foxes too, we have not seen any for a few years and we miss them!

    ReplyDelete