Friday, March 23, 2018

Oh Deer!

Last month I stumbled upon It's A Wild Life block of the month over at Sew Incredibly Crazy that looked like fun and was still in its first month - no playing catch up! - bonus.

Since Dave and I plan to enjoy lots of camping trips with our recently acquired truck camper I thought it would be fun to have a quilt to commemorate the events of the year.

The blocks for February were maple leaves... quick and easy!


The March block is a really cute block, but applique is not a technique that I favor.  I quickly prepared the background of the sky and the pieced meadow which I knew I wanted to make scrappy style... and then I set it aside for a few weeks and when all other projects, deadlines and distractions were out of the way I started in on the deer.  

I pulled scraps of fabric from my scrap bin and started... the clouds - made of flannel and the deer were finished... And it was time for the flowers and birds... that is when I decided that there were too many small pieces for my liking and chickened out opted for some sunflowers and a few butterflies in their place.


I used a narrow, black, zig-zag stitch to outline the bodies and features of the deer and used mono filament thread (clear) for everything else.  

Yes, the doe's leg is the basically the same color at the meadow patch right there, but animals often naturally blend in to their habitats.  Right???

None the less, block #2 is done and is a fair representation of the area we live in...  Check out the deer in our yard!

Image may contain: horse, outdoor and nature

I am ready for the April blocks! 

Are you a lover of applique?  
If so, maybe you could share some tips with me... 
(or maybe I need take a class on it.)  
But tips are good!  
Leave a comment and let me know.

Quilt Happy!

Melva

Melva Loves Scraps - Home of Quilters Through The Generations
Linking up with:
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts


4 comments:

  1. Hi Melva. I, too, am doing this quilt-a-long, but so far have only collected the patterns. I think your block really looks fantastic. I love the addition of the butterflies and flowers.
    I love applique and usually do needle turn hand applique. If doing it by hand, just take small bites into your top applique piece so your stitches won't show and make your stitches about an eight of an inch apart
    I also do a lot on the machine now so I can get done faster. I use Wonder-Under on the applique pieces. You can use a zig-zag stitch, satin stitch, straight stitch or blanket stitch to sew the applique pieces down. It isn't hard and I know you can do it. Just take your time. I am sure you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice! I really like your butterflies and sunflowers. :) Applique - - where to even start? My favorite is back-basting needle-turn hand stitching. Time constraints force me into machine applique quite often, and I hate the prep work for that, but love the scenes so I do it, anyway. heh! Your work here is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work. I'm not a fan of (the act of) detailed appliqué either. I think your sunflowers and butterflies were a fine solution! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute deer. You are right. A deer can be right in my yard, and I'll never notice it unless it moves.

    ReplyDelete