Friday, September 14, 2018

Let's Go Camping :: Camping Activities




Pat Sloan's "Let's Go Camping" Mystery Block of the month is all about Camping Activities.





I have already shared about some of the things we have done while camping... like our bike rides up the original Wolf Creek Pass last year...  and playing ball in the meadow and hiking or Uno or the card game Speed for hours on end when it rained...  





So when I thought of what other activities we would do I thought back to just six short weeks ago (and we need to go camping again... soon!) when we camped with our oldest daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren.  We enjoyed time at the hot springs in Ouray, some time in the park and a good game of T-ball that was filled with some rule bending and giggles galore!


But I also recalled when my girls were younger and they would walk the meadow at my Uncle's property and gather wild flowers. 


See the source imageI don't remember where we were that I watched Heather with Emma telling her that they needed some purple flowers to add to the bouquet they had gathered.  It may have been in the same meadow my cousins and I would play ball when we collected firewood for them last year.  

Wild flower gathering is a great activity for the little ones.  It can be a calming time that invited conversation and... bonus!  You can sneak in some color recognition... and you can keep sending them back for different colors or grasses as filler.  I dug through several old photo albums and photo libraries on cds in search of one of the many bouquets we enjoyed as table centerpieces when we camped.

Something similar to the one I found on-line... >>>

So... my fabric selection for this block isn't really that out of place. The Route 66 fabric represents the road trip portion involved with camping and the floral print is a reminder of all the bouquets gathered with love.



Pat had suggested a scavenger hunt which is also a great idea.  You could make your own or use the link provided... you could even incorporate collecting wildflowers into the hunt!


What are some of your favorite camping activities?  


Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Have you heard about the 2018 Quilter's Meet & Greet hop taking place the entire month of September?  You can jump over to Benita Skinner's Creative Space to see the entire list of participants.  Did I mention there is a fantastic prize to be won???  Details can be found on both blogs.

Sew Happy!

Melva
Melva Loves Scraps - Home of the Quilters Through The Generations series

Linking with:

Pat Sloan's Let's Go Camping Mystery Block
BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
TGIFF at Devoted Quilter
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts




4 comments:

  1. Love your block! The idea of having kids gather wildflowers is brilliant! I'm not a camper so I have no stories. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're block is beautiful, especially with that floral fabric! As for camping, not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did so enjoy your blog. Remembering camping in my childhood. Dad would say let's go camping this weekend, and in a few short hours there we would be camping some where in San Isabelle National Forest, by a stream. I really like Pat Sloan and try to follow her along with you. Love your block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely block! I love camping, though it has been a couple of years since we last went. I love hiking, meandering along a beach, cooking/eating outside and the best part of all is ending the day with a campfire :) Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete