Saturday, March 31, 2018

Quilters Through The Generations - Ann Hicks





Today I welcome Ann Hicks as she shares her family's story of quilting. Ann has a perpetual smile on her face and a positive outlook in life. She has a great appreciation for hand quilting and does not become overly concerned if something seems to be taking longer than it should. She simply goes with the flow and is not easily excitable. She has influenced many throughout her life as she loved and cared for numerous foster children for many years... Her love for life and quilting will carry on. Here is her story...


I started quilting shortly after I was married to my second husband, Bob in 1973.The first quilt I remember actually finishing what was to be a crib size for my daughter’s first baby. It was squares already stamped for cross stitching. I bought 6 squares but by the time I had finished the cross stitching Sharitta was already in school, so I was going to need at least a twin sized quilt. I bought more squares and this went on and on until I ended up making a queen sized quilt for her high school graduation. I had done the whole quilt in hand stitches so it did not hold up well after being washed. I learned so much doing that quilt! 





My mother, Lourenna Caton Perry, was a quilter.  This Cathedral Window quilt was one of her quilts.  





Below is the Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt that she made for my first baby, my daughter Tami Hicks Threats.







My maternal grandmother (mother's mother) was Mary Clinton Caton and she also made quilts.  She sewed all of her life making clothes for her six children.  She and her husband, Noah, moved to Colorado just before her second child (my mother) was born, circa 1915.  My Grandfather came with friends and carried household items in a covered wagon.  My grandmother and her daughter arrived via train.  My Grandfather drove the stagecoach to Cripple Creek before working in the Golden Cycle Mill.  He passed away from lung problems just before I was born in 1943.  My grandmother continued to sew for living until she was in her 90s.  


Below is one of Mary's quilts... notice the "empty space quilting" in the white filler squares.  Beautiful!




My Great Grandmother on my Mother's side was Lourenna Jane Williams Clinton and she made this scrappy quilt on the left...

I personally love the Baptist Fan quilting that works well with the curved piecing of the blocks.  It could easily fit into a modern (improv) quilting category... Timeless!







My paternal grandmother (dad's mom) was Julia Ann Washburn and married Gus Perry.  He owned the Palace Market on West Colorado Avenue in Colorado Springs, CO.  

My Grandmother Perry (in the photo from 1906) was a quilter as well! 





The Double Wedding Ring quilt shown to the left was made by her.



Julia's mom, my Great Grandmother - Florance A. Washburn was... guess what??? Another quilter!  She made the scrappy quilt pictured below.









Ann shared that she is unsure of who made this quilt, but she has memories of sleeping under it as a child... no doubt covered in love. 






My daughter Tami made this baby quilt...  I did not teach her how to quilt.  She learned the same way I did - by watching others and by trial and error.  



But, I did teach my Grand-daughter, Catrina Claire Threats to quilt.  She quilted this pillow top and then sewed it together and finished it while in 8th grade.


















This pillow is very special to me because it is made from a quilt originally pieced and tied by my Great-Grandmother, Florance A. Washburn circa 1874.  In 1907 my Grandmother, Julia Ann Perry, repaired it.  In 1999 I cut the old quilt into small pieces and made pillows for all of the girls in my family.


After the many lessons learned along the way and through the years, I made this Double Wedding Ring quilt - about 20 years ago.






I made this quilt for my son-in-law, Tyrone... Can you tell he is a Washington Red Skins fan???












Between 1995 and 2000 my husband, Bob, and I made and sold porcelain dolls.  He made the porcelain part and I made the cloth parts of each doll.  I would also hand-quilt a small quilt for each doll.  This was our first doll that I had promised to my sister.  We had no idea that she would look exactly like her grand-daughter!

All of my quilts have been gifts, so I haven't sold any, except for the ones that were sold with the dolls.  We sold those for $150 - $200 each.



My favorite quilt is a lap quilt that I made as a gift for my husband, Bob.



Because he passed away just a few months ago, it is even more special to me.








I have never participated in a quilting group, but I would probably enjoy it, though I haven't quilted for several years.

I think that now is an opportune time for Ann to start quilting again!  

What do you think?  
Any words of encouragement for her?

As I look at the quilts made by the women of her family, I am convinced that Ann's love for the slower pace is hereditary.  As I look at the details and intricacies of the piecing and small pieces of fabric they used the quilts, they no doubt took a long time to finish.  I think I could take some lessons from Ann about the slower pace and worry less about how quickly I can finish a quilt.

Thanks Ann for inspiring me!

Do you tend to "rush through" a project, like me?
Or do you enjoy the slower pace, like Ann?
Leave a comment below - I love to hear from my readers...


Quilt Happy!

Melva



2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazingly rich family history that Ann has. I think that Ann would really love a sewing group or guild, and I hope she gives one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, with all those family quilters who went before, it is definitely in the blood. Such a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete