Sunday, August 25, 2024

New Week = New Quilt~ Sew & Tell

Man-o-man, oh-man, the weeks are flying by!  Everyone seems to be surprised that it is late August... So, at least I am not alone!


After returning home I needed to sort through all of my sewing stuff and get my mind square with the Camping Journal Blocks that I pieced on the road.  I was able to get a small section ready to add to the borders of the quilt (sans the embroidery on the signs).  Here's a quick peek at what I have ready to add...

It was a good project to focus on for a few hours as I did laundry and cleaned house.

It jumpstarted me to have an interest in getting back to the wedding quilt that was placed on hold due to life getting busy with grandchildren, Family Camp and Mom's move.

My original hope was to have the wedding quilt finished before our trip for the 50th anniversary party to be able to leave for the bridal shower just one week later.  

Since that didn't happen, it will be gifted in October when we include the trip to the wedding in our "fall trip".  In the words of the old Doris Day song... Que Sarsar. :)


I will be hosting the TGIFF party this week and "My Heart Beats for You" will be the star of the show.  Be sure to come back to see her finished and showing off in her Glamor Shots.

Next up is a Baby's First Year quilt.  The customer is a repeat customer and has requested "I just want it all patch work and dark deep colors like the one you made for Scarlett… we all covet that one."  

I believe the top will come together quickly... 



There was another Pieces of My Life pattern release.  Block #15 ~ Cornerstone & Chimney accompanies a story of our first apartment, pets and friends.  (If you are doing the QAYG layout and are ready to join the first two sections together, you can find the info here.)

Our wedding and having our first place together to call "home" was when I felt as though I was an "adult".  We had full responsibility for our bills, rent, housework and meals without help from anyone else to assist.  Included in those bills was the responsibility to repay Dave's parents for the cost of his schooling to become a Gunsmith.  Since he was paying out-of-state tuition, it was quite hefty... though in comparison to the cost of a college education these days it was insignificant.

It got me thinking... What was the event or moment that you felt like an adult?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear your thoughts.


Last week's party was fun and inspirational! Melisa at Pinker 'n' Punkin Quilting invited us to join her for a dish of peach ice cream as she showed off Flaming Butterflies ~ The Butterflies are set with a Whatcha MaCall It blocks and is quite lovely...  Hop over to her blog to see more photos and to show her some love.

"This quilt is in memory of my sis, who Papa called Flaming Amy. She was a spitfire.🔥🎇 I finished Flaming Butterflies just in the knick of time. I will put it in the hoop tomorrow.  Tomorrow marks three years 😔😢💔. How can that be?" 

That's all I have this week. Don't forget... Come back for the TGIFF party at the end of the week!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


15 comments:

  1. Cool travel quilt blocks, Melva! I'm looking forward to it coming together. And, looking forward to TGIFF this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my adultness happened a few months after we were married and I opened my refrigerator and all of a sudden I realized it was my refrigerator and I wasn't just playing house LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that Labor Day is knocking on our door already! We are in a heat advisory yesterday and today for sure, with humidity galore, icky. Buying my first car, a Baracuda for $700 made me feel like an adult. See ya Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those camping blocks! I have no idea when I felt like an adult. Maybe at my 21st birthday party? Little did I know. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your camping blocks are coming along beautifully! And the baby quilt is gorgeous. Ha! When did I feel like an adult? It came with the realization that all the adults I knew didn’t know any more than I did about life - that everybody muddles through the best they can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When did I feel like an adult? I recall the summer of 1973 when five of us (sorority sisters) rented an apartment. Lyn and I went out to buy groceries to stock the kitchen. I realized that though I'd gone grocery shopping for my mother many times it was with her list. This time it was with my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bwhh ha ha - I still don't feel like an adult!!! Love your camping blocks - they are just so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) moving across the country with not enough money to make it home without asking (way too proud to admit that mistake!) 2) the death of my second parent. nobody left to bail you out. a very "you're on your own" feeling no matter how well you are settled in life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melva as usual your camping blocks keep me enthralled. Love the baby quilt, too! Thank you for joining ToDo Tuesday and for hosting us all on Sew and Tell Monday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your camping journal for this year is lovely! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/08/27/wednesday-wait-loss-395

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the travel blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving your camping journal quilt, Melva! The baby quilt is adorable too! Yes, I can't believe August is gone! It will be Christmas in just four months! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Camping journal blocks. I really love that idea. I should make one and use it on our bed in the camper

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your journal blocks, I need to travel so I can make one, lol. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Melva, what a great Baby's First Year Quilt. I also love your new travel blocks. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks and good luck with the wedding quilt!

    ReplyDelete