Sunday, August 11, 2024

Sew & Tell ~ Pieces of My Life Section II




Welcome! I am still working on the secret sewing project sooooo....

This week's show for Sew & Tell is the layout of Section II of the Pieces of My Life Sew Along.  All four sections of the quilt are the same, just rotated... (no, I did not forget how to count.... Remember, block #11 ~ Solitaire Diamond ~ has been released, but will be used in Section III... )
Cutting instructions are the same as Section I:

2 - 2-1/2" x 12-1/2" strips
2 - 2-1/2" x 18-1/2" strips
2 - 3-1/2" x 12-1/2" strips

Layout your blocks and strips as shown in the photos.  You can join units together as you desire but I used the following order so that I could chain piece until the final seam.  

Join your 6-1/2" blocks together.  
Add one 3-1/2" strip to the block intended for the lower left unit.  
Join your 6-1/2" blocks to the upper right block.
Add the second 3-1/2" strip to the lower left block.  
Sew a 2-1/2"x12-1/2" strip to each of the remaining blocks. 


Join the 18-1/2" long strips to the remaining units. 
Join the 18-1/2" long units to the 12"+2-1/2" strips units. 
Join the two units together to complete the section.  
Each section should measure 28-1/2" wide by 30-1/2" tall.

The remainder of the detailed Quilt-As-You-Go instructions can be found here.

Here's a closer view of the quilting I did for each block/filler strips

Quilt as you go... as desired ;)

Okay, I can't resist... here's a sneak peek at the secret sewing I have been doing.  I have the border to quilt and then I am ready for binding.  I am 100% confident that it will be completely finished before we leave on Thursday. 🌟I just couldn't resist sharing a peek.  👀


This brings us to the weekly feature... Linda at Texas Quilt Gal shared that she has been in a bit of a slump lately.

This has been the summer of the slump for me (in fact several months of slump), but Karen's plan of doing "a little each day" struck a chord, so I did some actual sewing yesterday and finished the next block in Joy's Say It With Flowers BOM. This sweetly simple block of the month has required the least amount of thought for me along with a great deal of enjoyment stitching in front of the TV at night, so it is one of the few things I have "kept up" with this summer. 

Head over to her blog to find the links for the BOM and more.  I think everyone has experienced a slump.  I know I have lost my Sewjo...  I find that doing a small, quick project helps me.  As well as some self-care.  I did a few things this week for my self-care.  One was using some detoxing foot pad and foot soaks and making sure I was getting ample rest.  I even had a nap or two.  It felt good!

What have you done to come out of a slump?  

Leave a comment... Your ideas and plans are always welcome.

The party is started!  Share what you have been doing and feel free to share more than one post as the party is open alllllll week.

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


7 comments:

  1. If it's a sewing slump I pull a quilt book off the shelf to look for inspiration. If it's a worldview slump I count a few blessings. It doesn't take many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been coming out of a slump myself this summer; I find that just sewing simple, easy things for a few minutes a each day helps...also watching Youtubers make quilts is inspiring. I think it's all about re-finding one's "Joy" in sewing.. good luck hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Melva, thank you for the shout out, you are so sweet! I'll also thank you for your visit to my blog and your encouraging words, and yes, I am regaining the spark! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on my wedding ring block, and excited for the next QAYG section, too! When I was still teaching, I learned about sewing for just 15 minutes a day and how you could accomplish things that way - and it helped my mental health so much when work was challenging. So that became part of my daily routine, and I look forward to it so much that I don't end up in a slump very often. If I don't want to work on a particular project, I just start making crumb blocks, and that fills me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do get into a slump from time to time, I let it fester a bit and then just pick one project and when it is finished or at least moved along I feel so good and move onward:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melva, I'm looking forward to seeing your finished quilt! I usually read my way out of a slump. Eventually I'm tired of reading and want to do something...which is of course sew and quilt!

    ReplyDelete