Sunday, April 7, 2024

Sew & Tell ~ April 8, 2024

Hey everyone!  I am back among the cyber world and reconnecting with everyone.

Last week the newsletter was sent out... delayed even more that I had anticipated due to an internet service issue.  I also had a few glitches with the mailing but believe they have been fixed and got everyone covered.  

There was a reader or two that have stated in anonymous comments that they want to be added to my newsletter list.  I would love to add you... but I need an email address left with the comment or you need to send me an email message with the word "newsletter" in the subject line so that I can add you.

The next two blocks will be released on Thursday, April 11th.  The next newsletter with the next section of memory book pages and pattern links will be sent that day as well.  Watch for it!

I have made the first section of the "memory book" available for purchase in my payhip store so it is available to all, whether on the newsletter list or not. 

I've been steadily getting final patterns written and tested (3 ready to test and just 3 more to write/test) by making the blocks up in purple for the traditional layout for the quilt and I am getting so close to being ready to add sashing strips and borders.  I had been worried about getting the blue-violets and red-violets to play together nicely... I think I've done well. Nothing is clashing or glaring at another.  I'm still on the hunt for the perfect fabric for sashing (and backing?) to tie all of it together.  I trust and believe I will find it when it is time.



I've had some exciting email messages this week.  The first from the publisher of my books... Blurb.com.  Their message requested a headshot and higher quality photo of my Pieces From the Past Book.  I will be a featured author across all of their social media channels.  How exciting!  I'll be sure to let you know when that happens.  For all of you that have supported and participated in my sew along events in the past 4 years, I say thank you!

You have helped to make what seemed like a pipe dream come true!  

The second exciting email I had was confirming a date for a presentation with a quilt guild.  I am looking forward to having the opportunity to present "Storytelling Quilts"... another "dream" I have had for a few years. 💕


That is about all I have for this week's Sew & Tell... Let's take a look at the featured quilter... DonnaLeeQ had a lovely finish of a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that was started 20 years ago.  Well done!  If you want to see the backing she used, go check it out... it is perfect!

Do you select the backing for quilts as you pull/purchase fabrics for the quilt top?
Or do you wait until the top is done and then choose the backing?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing,

Melva
Linking with:


12 comments:

  1. Double congrats, Melva!!! Your blocks all look so coordinated! As for a backing, I always figure that out after I finish the top. I encourage quilter at the quilt shop, while I'm working that is, to do the same--come back after the top is completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how many different purples there are! They definitely don't all play well together, but I like how you have all the blocks made and arranged in your photo above. Fun to get get a peek at where we're headed! And congratulations on your book news, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get going on the Friendship Star block! Loving the look of all the blocks.
    That is a beautiful photo of you Melva. Congratulations for well deserved recognition!
    The eclipse is overshadowing pretty much everything today, as well as a severe weather forecast for afterward that has The National Weather Service issuing warnings. Exciting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so excited for you!!! Both things sound amazing ;)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I pull the backing fabric when I'm ready to quilt the flimsy. There may be a LONG time between the two activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I keep trying to add my post to the linkup but Blenza doesn't let me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the book news. I need to get busy on the 2 blocks, pinwheel and friendship star. Hopefully today is the day to get those done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Generally, I choose my backing when the top is done but I will think on it throughout the quilt, especially as I add the last border (just thinking ahead to the binding and backing, making sure all coordinate). I keep my eyes on the clearance racks for yardage that would make good backings. (I don't mind piecing my backs, and happily add in some blocks or other piecing if I need to make it bigger.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually choose when the top is done...so many things can "happen" in between. It is good to have you back. I have been quiet on the web but may get a post up this week. Moving is stressful, even a partial move - we are closing an apartment we had outside of Boston, that we don't use quite as much and costs much more than when we first started - so its integrating clothes and fabric that will be my big challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many exciting things! Congratulations on the book and the Guild talk. Dreams do come true! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/07/wednesday-wait-loss-375

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Melva! Great emails this week. Congratulations on the book feature and the guild talk. I love your purple quilt! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete