Sunday, April 21, 2024

Sew & Tell ~ April 22, 2024 ~ Pieces in Purple



It's Done! It's DONE!


Ta-da!!! The purple Pieces of My Life is done... label and all.


To say that I am pleased with the finished quilt is an understatement. The challenge of getting the varying shades of purple to "play well together" was a little intimidating, but one that I rose to conquer.  The sashing strips, cornerstones, borders and binding supervised any clashing that may have been there.



I could go on with more thoughts, but I'll just keep it short and sweet and get right to this week's Sew & Tell feature... Deb was getting ready for retreat season and had a few projects that she was taking with, including these blocks.

"I have had the black log cabins looking me in the eye for a long time."

I look forward to finding out if she chose to include sashing strips or not... 

I am not a big fan of black in quilts... I mean I just kinda forget about it as an option for backgrounds... but it certainly does make the colors pop.  I mean POP!  

What is your "go to" for background fabrics?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

PS... If you missed the table runner I made last week, jump over here.


Linking with:

m

15 comments:

  1. Melva, your quilt is gorgeous! I am so excited that you have it completed . Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I am enjoying the blocks so much. I hope to post Blocks 2 & 3 this week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purples are beautiful Melva!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great finish! That backing fabric on the runner is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the purple quilt. I’m working on my orange Pieces of my Life. Stove stopped working so a couple of days running around to buy a new one that I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The purple is fantastic, and finished ! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go-to background? Whatever works with what I'm working on. Yes, purples come in many different varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you did get all those purples to play nicely, together. It’s amazing what a range there is in purple. I think I probably use mostly lights (white to off-white) for backgrounds, and I have used black (but not recently because it’s hard on my eyes). I made a scrappy quilt with navy as the background last year and really enjoyed it. To solve the vision issue, I quilted with rainbow colored thread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your purple quilt is beautiful. Great job! My go-to background tends to be white or cream, which is such a "safe" choice. I definitely need to step out of my comfort zone more often. I have used black or navy a few times. And I have one going right now with a pale grey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melva, that's a really lovely purple quilt! I'm trying to use more non-whites or creams for my backgrounds. I love gray. Thanks for the linking party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a fabulous job on your purple "Pieces of My Life". Our integrating of our apartment to our cottage has happened and now there is tons to put away. I expect to be back to quilting in a week or so, so soon I should have some linkups!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! You did a great job of mixing those purples. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/24/wednesday-wait-loss-377

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on that purple quilt!! LOVE!! For backgrounds I try to go with a neutral. I like black with bright colors, but my eyes do not like to sew black fabric! LOL Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Melva, congratulations on your lovely purple finish. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should be proud, that is pretty. My goto background fabric is 200tc unbleached muslin.

    ReplyDelete